Hexagonal crystal found today think its Beryl.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hexagonal crystal found today think it's Beryl.

Decided I would go scratch around today in spite of the weather and found this little hexagonal crystal with bluegreen in a lot of it. Think its Beryl. Thanks for looking and all the help. Double terminated green Beryl 009.JPG Double terminated green Beryl 012.JPG Double terminated green Beryl 016.JPG
No sunshine today so pictures are not that good.

Last edited:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yakker I posted a few pictures of the last stone in this thread if you still wanted to see it.

Hey G- took a while, but I'm finally back and checked out that crystal. Man is she ever pretty- and the greenish-blueish hue does come through. Really pretty:icon_thumright: The best I can do in my area is to check the streams and creeks for wash-out. Found 2 clear quartz crystals so far (one rather nicely river-dulled, very 'soft'). Both found on the shores of the Rivana. So I envy your private land and ability to dig and discover. With luck, by summer I'll have some land too. I'll have to keep in mind all the water and geological features I require (almost more than the ability to build a home/perk/etc.!) Gonna keep my eye on this thread to see what you discover about that little beauty! ;) Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey G- took a while, but I'm finally back and checked out that crystal. Man is she ever pretty- and the greenish-blueish hue does come through. Really pretty:icon_thumright: The best I can do in my area is to check the streams and creeks for wash-out. Found 2 clear quartz crystals so far (one rather nicely river-dulled, very 'soft'). Both found on the shores of the Rivana. So I envy your private land and ability to dig and discover. With luck, by summer I'll have some land too. I'll have to keep in mind all the water and geological features I require (almost more than the ability to build a home/perk/etc.!) Gonna keep my eye on this thread to see what you discover about that little beauty! ;) Yakker

Yakker I purchased a Chelsea filter to help me identify green and red in my gemstones. It is not 100% accurate but is supposed to help identify Aquamarine. I checked some of these stones and I am getting yellow green or green in most of them. I am no expert but that is supposed to be a good indication. So I will keep trying until I figure out something.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey G, how are you calculating SG?

Specific Gravity - The Gemology Project

I hope your measuring weight in air and weight dispersed hanging in water.

Then calculate:
Weight of gem / (weight of gem - weight of gem in water) = SG

Yeah Eu Weight of gem then weight of gem hanging in water. Got two sets of scales and double check sometimes. Works pretty well just time and patience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BruntBear for the reply. Yeah I have been checking out the Chelsea filter for some time and think it will be a extra tool to use for some of my stones since I am into this green stuff. Takes a lot of light on the stone and a lightbulb just would not satisfy me so I bought a floodlight and now I can see stones in a way I have never seen them before. LOL. But it works. Thanks for the site that helps too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread