Hey Buckles, I Finally Broke Into The Old Stuff!! (1842 LC!!)

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
After several seasons of less than lackluster results, I was beginning to wonder if everyone in Ky. was too poor to lose any really old coins. I have found several wheaties and silver coins but had yet to find any 1800 coins, which has been my short term goal(actually it turned into longterm ;D) Any how, yesterday afternoon, the kids came home from school, and reminded me I'd promised to take them to look for arrowheads. I had found some older broken glass at this sight and knew there had been a homesite very near at one time, so I reached into the closet and grabbed the ACE-250 before leaving. I had thought about taking the MXT, but was running short on daylight so I opted for simplicity. Upon arriving, I turned on the machine and started slowly scanning some washouts from the recent rain while the kids tore out across the field looking for arrowheads. After some odd and end whatsits, I got a sharp coin tone, that sounded really good from all angles. As I cleared the dirt away I saw a green-patinated rim and when I picked it up realized it really had some heft. I held the disc up in the failing sunlight and could faintly make out the large words "ONE CENT". I was ecstatic, after we got home and got her washed up, I was able to see it was an 1842 LC with a hole drilled through the center of her head. I'll say I'd take it over an 1899 Indian, anyday. Now, I can't wait to get that MXT out there and really give it a thorough going over..........
102_0089.jpg

Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Hey Buckles, I Finally Broke Into The Old Stuff!!

Congrats on your find redlined. BuckleBoy will be proud ;D

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky

haha good post. Nice find....and for, idk, the first year I was detecting I also wondered if Ky was just a horrible state to find old coins. It took me about 11 months to get fairly good at detecting and I was in indiana and had asked to search around an old church and found 10 indian heads. It seemed like after I found the first one they started popping up everywhere. Moral of the story is now that you have found one you will probably find them more often!!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old is better! WTG!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeah, but did the kids get any arrowheads :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell Yes I am PROUD!   :thumbsup:

Way to go on that LC, redlined! 

If you read my posts, then you know that there are goodies to find in the Bluegrass.  Congratulations! 

I'd say that the peroxide method would work well for that coin, but be sure to experiment on an IH or two first. 

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread