Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knapped for 22 yrs. and couldn't wait until the new Overstreet book came out so I could look and see how many of my points were pictured there. In other words, his books are full of fakes. Gary

I never used it much, and we now have the best typology guide imaginable for the New England region. That said, I would think Matt Rowe’s involvement with the most recent Overstreet edition would result in overall improvement. I recall he asked members here to send him photos of types.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say you found a "flute" do you mean a Clovis or a musical instrument. Don't understand why you hunt and/or collect if you are just going to stow them away and never show them. I've hunted since the mid 60's and will show you anything you ask to see.

Just so people won't be completely disappointed with this thread, here's a personally found Flute. lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That said, I would think Matt Rowe’s involvement with the most recent Overstreet edition would result in overall improvement. I recall he asked members here to send him photos of types.

I think Matt's involvement absolutely helps, but they are still going on self reporting and submission of pictures. If someone submits a picture of a properly made replica with appropriate looking wear/patina, it stands the same chance of getting pictured as a decent authentic example.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. Reason I asked is the two big chert pieces on either side of the disc. I would have suspected both were older. You taught me something today. Muchas gracias, amigo.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will whistle but not really play any tunes.

Hi Steve,

Could that be a case of operator error? I’m not trying to knock your musical ability. I’m just thinking that perhaps you or whomever tried it may not have been using it properly. I’ll bet that if you loaned it to Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull), he’d figure out a way to belt out some tunes on it in short order. Just to clarify... I’m being serious. I could dig up a trumpet that someone lost, clean it up, and if I blew through it, people would say that it made a noise but wouldn’t play a tune. However if you handed that same trumpet to my father, grandfather, or uncle when they were still alive, I guarantee you that the saints would come marching in...

As always, thanks for sharing your awesome collection with us.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, when I was writing post #33 in this thread, I realized that I know nothing of NA musical instruments.

Does anyone here know if Steve’s flute is intact? Or could it be missing a piece or pieces that deteriorated more quickly (e.g. a thin wooden insert to direct wind and/or help achieve more notes)? Also does anyone know if indeed it was played like a flute... that is, by blowing through one end and closing different holes to hit different notes? From depictions of Kokopelli (totally different culture... I know), one would assume so, but you know what they say about assumptions... I’ve never seen one, so I’m guessing that it’s hollow bone? Could it have been played like a harmonica, by blowing through the holes in the side and closing (or plugging) the end holes as well as the other holes to make different notes?? Regardless, it’s an awesome flute and I’d sure love to hear it played properly.

And please remember if you’re replying to my questions... there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knapped for 22 yrs. and couldn't wait until the new Overstreet book came out so I could look and see how many of my points were pictured there. In other words, his books are full of fakes. Gary

I was thinking about this, and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for you to write the authors to let them know which points you made. I fully realize that it would cause a Category 5 Sh1tstorm, but it would be good for collectors to know... those who buy and sell you know.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck is a flute,?...is that the empty space that’s left after a flake is removed,?

Flutes, as referred to originally, and not like Steve’s musical instrument, are lengthwise concave depressions formed by a large flake removal or multiple flake removals. Several paleo era point types (e.g. Cumberland, Clovis, et al.) commonly have flutes running up from the base and extending halfway or more up the point. Someone else could probably describe them better...

Check out this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...acts/611717-i-want-see-some-paleo-points.html

Lot’s of nice fluted examples... look at the channels running up from the bases in posts 15 & 23.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Does anyone here know if Steve’s flute is intact? Or could it be missing a piece or pieces that deteriorated more quickly (e.g. a thin wooden insert to direct wind and/or help achieve more notes)

I have a couple from different parts of the Americas. (Indiana, Dakotas, Caribbean, & South America.) Almost always made from bird bones. Long, thin, basically hollow.

Some make noise, just like a whistle. Blow in one end and you get a high pitched whistle sound. They usually have holes, but the two notes seem to be all open or all closed. (They aren't clarinets with distinct, fine notes.)

And I have a couple that have a square cut out that is very similar to what you see on a flute, I cannot get any sound out of them so I imagine that they used a blade of grass or sliver of cane or something that is long gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread