Hey Gypsy

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
do you have any info on a city in North St. Louis county called "Columbia" this isnt the colledge town. this is/was on Columbia Bottoms Road or sometimes miscalled Riverveiw Drive. when i was a kid, all that was left was a couple of homes and a few farm homes and 1 bar that had a lot of off color tales about it. where do you goto find all these pictures/ info of these towns?? it sure has been a pleasure reading these!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Larimore, located in the old St. Ferdinand township on Larimore Road that spurs off Bellefontaine Rd. and runs to Columbia Bottom Road. It is the community north of O'Neill. It has a RR station, a school called "Prigge School", and St. Aloysius Catholic Church

This is all I have so far on that ....I thought that had all been made into a conservation area?

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
this area is now called Spainsh Lake Mo.. the land that was donated to the Mo. conservation area is about 1200 acres that is east of columbia bottoms road. and south of Strotman Rd.almost to the Mississippi River bridge at hiway 270. lots of farm land that was leased to the farmers from the owners(city of St. Louis) the city had bought this land a long time ago in and attemp to build a airport.constant flooding and St. Louis county guberment kept this from happening. this was going on when i was a little kid.i remeber my father talking about it.MDC has really developed this land into something nice. they have a veiwing "patio" by the confluence of the Mississippi R. and the Missouri R... it is handicap accessable. paved walk ways to most of the interesting locations there.lots of signs describing what your veiwing from these locations! to get to this veiwing "patio" you drive/ride /walk along a new road. the old road was called Madison Ferry Road. but it has been removed and replaced with this new road that mianders through part of this land. 50 years ago at the end of madison Ferry Road was a old man that lived there selling fish bait and had a boat ramp that you could pay to use. i didnt know his name but they called him the "mad Russian"...we used to ride our bikycycles down there to buy a cold soda. man that soda was ice cold but really wasnt worth the 2 mile ride down and back.but that was in different times!

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
im not familiar with the town of Oneil. it has tobe gone also. from larimore road to hiway 270 is either farm/home lands or MDC land now. all the way south to the St. Louis city limits. ive lived out there and in Florissant for 60 years. and drank beer in most of the out of way places also!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread