Hey :) New to Gold Prospecting, how do I get started?

MeOnlyMe

Oct 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I am quite accustomed to forums gold on the other hand I am not. Nice to meet everyone.

I met an older gentleman on the river once when I was swimming with friends, he was sitting down on a tail in this narrow river near the bend. I approached him and asked why he was sitting down, did he need help? The man looked at me and laughed, "im doing just fine." Are you gold panning or something, I asked. He goes on to tell me that he makes around 4-5 thousand dollars a month panning for gold with his sluice box. From what I can remember it wasn't anything special, just a metal box with some moss and mesh using the rivers current. I haven't seen him in the same spot since.

Quite lately I have been thinking about this man, regularly. I make around 2500 a month with overtime, nothing special. Im a young man with plenty of energy, plenty of money to get started, tons of ambition and have no idea what to do with my life. Sure, maybe panning for gold wont pay a dime. But hell, it looks fun and I got one heck of a story to get me started on a fever. I plan on prospecting for a couple of hours, everyday. What sort of results should I expect with a consistent schedule and a good area? I live near a couple of mines and close to the mountains.

How do I get started?

Sluicebox
Shovel
Buckets
Pan
Magnet
Water
Vial?

Do I need anything like permits?
How do I separate the gold and sell it?

What sort of process is gold prospecting?

Dig
Sluice box
Bucket
Pan?

Start -> Finish

I got about 500$ to spend freely and will be working alone, what sort of equipment should I look into?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, GOLD PROSPECTING, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also jump over to Forum > Gold Prospecting Forum and browse that forum.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, I'm not big on panning, but a lot depends on what type and size gold is in your area. Nuggets can be found with a gold detector as well as panning or sluicing.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest: