Just starting due to outside interest in searching our property

jseitzler

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My name is John and we have decided to check into detecting. We have had a couple of people (one who used to live here) come by and ask if they could search our back yard. We live on a 1/2 acre lot in a home that was built in 1922. Used to have a horse barn and carriage house. Might be something worth checking out. My question is there are so many detectors our there - what would be a good one for a newbie without breaking the bank?

I will most likely start doing this as a hobby as well and not limit it to just around my home.

Thanks.

Lot's of good information here.
John

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard John! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll get a whole lot of answers here. It may get confusing.

First, you have to consider your seriousness. Your property sounds like a wonderful place to get started learning a new detector.

Have you looked beyond your property for potential sites? If you've had people asking to search your property that means you have local competition with a head start. Until you are really adept at whatever your machine is, it can get pretty frustrating. Just remember that no sites are completely worked out. You need either beginner's luck (which doesn't last long), or skills.

You need to consider your budget. I'd suggest at least a mid-level used machine, to bring the costs down. I'm in a remote area, and craigslist is full of used ones for sale. But you have to be careful with that. Don't buy a cheapie just because it is cheap. Most often used machines on craigslist are for sale because the owner never took the time to learn it.

There's good machines with most every manufacturer - Fisher, Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, Minelab, and certainly others.

Be serious on your purchase, and then be real serious about learning it.

In my opinion, the best detectors are not about the bells & whistles - they are about the sounds you need to listen to before digging. Any quality mid-level detector on the market today can hit 10" in depth. So don't let those claims of depth capabilities confuse you.

As you're looking, you'll have many people giving you great information.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also give us you budget, it really helps when helping you decide what to buy.. Is it just going to used just on the land or will it be used in water, if so fresh or salt?

OP
OP
J

jseitzler

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am serious about this but not ready to break the bank. I am looking at spending around $200 or a little more. Willing to put the effort into learning all I can to do this.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With your budget you might want to look into the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I picked up one a few weeks ago and impressed with all of it's features for it's price. I have bought 4 detectors so far. 2 new and 2 used from craigslist. I have not had any issued with any of them. For a finds pouch I use a nail apron (73 cents) and you can get a mini shovel from w@lm@rt for a little over 7 dollars. I use a knee pad on my right knee and also a pair of tight fitting cloth gloves that are rubber coated on the palm and under the fingers. I hunted for months without a pin pointer, but after using my pro-pointer I will not leave home without it. The cheapest I'd go on a pin pointer is about $89.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! Also look into a Tesoro Compadre. Turn on and go machine that will find the good stuff. $170.00 and super easy to re-sell if you decide you've had enough!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard---just have fun :icon_thumleft:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard John! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.
us.png
John Seitzler

Oct 2015

Dallas, Texas

4 times

Metal Detecting

Look to the port side for a clue! Then go have the corpsman check the prescription on your glasses:laughing7: That's why the Marines hit the deck when the squids are armed.:tongue3:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Dallas, Texas

Our new member updated his profile twice, first to Texas, and then added Dallas later after a PM yesterday.

So, VPNAVY was up to date at the time he responded.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome John to TNet! The Eurotek Pro is a good choice with the smaller coil at about $220.
Great target ID and is easy to learn and use.
Best of luck out there!

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting