jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently came into 23x 1909 VDB Pennies. They are all high grade uncirculated. Most are at least red-brown, a few brown, and 1-2 are almost perfect (red).

Since I have no need for 23 of these coins, I plan on keeping a few choice coins and selling the rest. I figure I can probably make some decent money if I play my cards right.

Should I get them slabbed? If so, by which company?
or
Should I try to sell them raw?

What do you all think would get me the best bang for the buck since it costs money to have them slabbed would it even be worth the extra added value?

Pics and the whole story here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,378992.0.html

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Personally, I don't see Grade Certification by a reputable firm as enhancing the value of anything, they only reaffirm what the true grade of the coin may be, which Cert. is then relied on by buyers--based on the reputation of the grading service.
Don.......

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Don, certification doesn't really add to the value. Ms 63 1909 Lincolns only go for about $35 so I don't see it being worth the cost anyway.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If any of them have the "S" mint mark I could see getting them graded but if they are plain I would agree with cutler and probably just ebay them. Good luck,

Charlie

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Too many scratches to be higher than AU55, if that. The obverse of the coin you photoed has lots of scratches, all pointed in the same direction. Someone tried to clean the coin. A grading service might grade as authentic, too many scratches for a higher grade. Sorry.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuberale said:
Too many scratches to be higher than AU55, if that. The obverse of the coin you photoed has lots of scratches, all pointed in the same direction. Someone tried to clean the coin. A grading service might grade as authentic, too many scratches for a higher grade. Sorry.

I actually used my scanner to post the pics. I think what you are seeing is a glare from the scanner on the natural toning/patina of the coin. If you look at the coin through a loup it looks completely different. Thats also the only one that has those lines so its possible that it was rubbed at some point but none of the others have any lines. What would the grade be if there were no "rub" lines.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like light wear on the highpoints, Lincoln's ear and beard. I don't think it would be any higher thatn AU.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
I agree it is probably not worth getting them graded unless you find a really high grade one. If anything send the best looking one in and find out what it grades so you know. Make sure and bundle coins when grading to save money on shipping costs etc..

Kris

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Those are not scratches on the coin... I have many red uncirculated coins from the period and it is common to see striations in the planchet that were from the feed stock and hence pre-existing before the strike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions