Highway 49 slucing

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is from the Californian; San Francisco, California; May 3, 1848:

Gold Mines of the Sacramento. — From a gentleman just from the gold region, we learn that many new discoveries have very recently been made, and it is fully ascertained that a large extent of country abounds with that precious mineral. Seven men, with picks and spades, gather $1600 worth in fifteen days. Many persons are settling upon the lands with the view of holding preemptions, but as yet every person takes the right to gather all they can, without any regard to claims. The largest piece yet found is worth $6.

that was about the last time it was ok to just wander in and start digging. researching the legal status of the ground u intend to enter is a pain in the ass, but it is a necessary inconvenience if u guys want to keep recreational prospecting legal. every time u break the law and get caught, u just give the damn gov't more ammunition to use against the rest of us.

is a sad fact, but in the land of the free now, one person f*cks up and 99 others lose their liberties because of it... this damn "moratorium" is a perfect example.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all do respect isn't it the duty of the claim owner to clearly mark and defend his claim if need be.Also shouldn't the claim be active.I ask because I hear that a lot people have claims so they can have a nice camping spot 2 weeks out of the year.Keep in mind that I am new to prospecting and trying to learn.

Howdy 707Dut,
Yes, all claims must be marked clearly! Defending one's claim is a difficult as well as touchy thing! The mining laws say one thing but the current U.S. Government, U.S. Forest Service, local Enforcement Agencies (Police Departments and such) say another as well as Institute Their Own Laws/Ordinances unjustly and without legal authority, IMHO. For a claim holder to be at their claim 25% of their time is not even possible if they have a job, are in poor health, just need to be at home and an infinite amount of other reasons why they depend on other people respecting their "Marked Claim". Of course there are those out there that disturb claim markers and that just mess's with the system and Everyone.

Some scum sucking, slime bag, pieces of Useless Trash even post on other people's claims and sell the illegal paperwork to unsuspecting honest folks who pay good money for the claims. And the BLM does nothing to monitor this! So protecting a claim is Tricky and loaded with all sorts of potential problems.

So supposed to be and what is at times have no similarity to what is right or what is happening. This is not much use to you but it is an explanation to what is out there.

Welcome to Tnet! It has been a whole lot of years since the 1849 rush and the 20's and 30's when folks were out there really hitting the hills hard and some even got into the back country - so since then a lot of water every year has flushed more sediment out of the hills leaving who knows what uncovered or nearly uncovered. Good Success on your Search for the Elusive Gold Stuff AND enjoy yourself out there as it can be so beautiful!...............................63bkpkr

P.S. check this site out:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just want to do some panning and not be hassled....why are those areas you have found which are hands and pans only not viable for you???????? As Clay has mentioned there are numerous legal places to try out gold panning with minimal research. And if you want to get more into prospecting you are going to have to go deeper in research.

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Hey goldwasher, try reading some of the posts, or maybe the title.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked into clubs. They don't seem like they are worth the money to me simply due to the distance I would have to travel to get to one of there claims. Money is tight and I would only be able to do a trip like this once or twice a year. It is frustrating to have the fever (for 7 years now) and have access to wilderness with very little placer gold or water. I have never seen a piece of gold I could pick from my sluice or pan without a snufter bottle. All the gold I have is -30 mesh and most is -50 mesh. I would to like to just once see a piece of gold on the mat in my sluice. I appreciate the info and maybe I am a little sensitive to being accused of poor morals and thievery. Typo or not my post clearly stated removing material from someone's claim was what I was trying to avoid. Claims here are sparse and typically hard rock. I know claims are abundant in that area and that is why I asked. I know I can pan at many places that are public but I want to sluice, get cons and process at home so my time spent there is maximized. I apologize for any confusion.

I must say this is one of the most morphed threads I've read here in awhile.

Back on topic: GPAA is $84.50 and AMRA is $200. AMRA had a group dig at one of their clams last month for $10 (I think that was the amount).
For the help you would get climbing the learning curve I think that's a decent deal. Check out their videos on Youtube: American mining rights association - YouTube

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey goldwasher, try reading some of the posts, or maybe the title.

You have quite the attitude for someone looking for help. Figure it out yourself if your so smart.

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
If my post came across as harsh I apologize. I have nowhere suggested I wanted to pan I simply used an example to make a point. I also explained my self several times. Calisdad was right when he posted this thread had morphed a lot. I have deduced from posts where I can go and I received some pm's that were friendly and helpful. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you guys watched HowToDrillAWell's youtube videos on gold? Great how to's I thought.

Where is this highway gold by the way? Is anyone actually sluicing there? :)

adam h

Nov 12, 2013
Hi ive just been reading here until now. i had to chime in on this subject.

calaveras county is a BAD place to wander in and try prospecting. every gully has (or had) gold in it so most of the county below 3000 feet was patented years ago and is now private property. (the county is generally barren of gold above 3000 except for a few exceptions) i have a piece of land up there with a tertiary tributary under it. because it's fairly remote, every year there are a dozen people that come onto my land and start prospecting my private property. when i confront them every f**ng time their excuse is "i didnt know" like that is some kind of free pass to steal. there is a BIG "private property keep out" sign at the head of the canyon on the road leading into my property and still they use that lame ass excuse.

i used to be civil and inform them is private property and ask them to leave until the time i had a gun pulled on me. ON MY OWN PROPERTY. luckily my neighbor across the canyon saw what was going on and fired off a dozen rounds from his ak47 and they thought better of it. i now carry a pocket taurus and won't be threatened like that on my own property again. is it fair that i have to live like this because of "recreational" prospectors that don't give a damn about property rights? and people wonder why the gov't is trying to kill this hobby....

im sorry money is tight for u, but joining a club is your best bet. you'll meet people who know people and that's your best way to find some good diggings. just wandering onto the wrong property in calaveras and starting to dig could prove fatal. weed growers are generally cool, but there is a lot of meth cooked in those hills and YOU DON'T want to stumble onto those operations!

a word to the wise...

Are you open to the idea of letting people ( me and my kids) search for gold on your property/claim for something in return?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay diggings, have you or would you be willing to do a how to workshop on your knowledge of the claim system, or the techniques you use to research property and claims? Maybe write a sticky here or a gold claims how to for dummy's. With the absence of dredging more and more folks are sitting on the claims and not working them. We are also seeing a pretty good influx of new prospectors looking for mining areas. Definitely not enough easily understood resources in this area. If your not into it, the research is a very confusing, misleading, and intimidating endeavor. Which in turn may be a big reason why so many people are inclined to trespasse and/or claim jump.

That's a good idea fowledup. Sure would save a lot of repetition.

Plans are already in the works. Just needed to clear it with our forum hosts first. Got the all clear today but I probably won't have anything ready until after Thanksgiving. I'll start a new thread when I've got it all together.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry man you are right You are looking for a place to sluice not just pan. I was referring to some comments in a couple of your responses. I am not trying to belittle you. I was never shown the where's or how's by anyone totally self taught and have always had to hunt down my own info. So I believe you can do the same add that to the info you have gained from others. Start talking about not wanting to put the effort into it and you might get some unwanted comments, especially when it comes to asking about other peoples spots or complaining about lack of access. The fact is with very little research online you can absolutely find places to sluice without us chiming in. And as you have mentioned you will also get helpful PM's maybe get a good spot. But, if you are given a tip it is still your responsibility to make sure it is a legal spot with good access before you waste your time.....and there's that pesky research again:BangHead:

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Diggins,
YOU ARE absolutely correct and I was in error. :hello: I'd thought several markers needed to be put up but only one monument needs to be put up at least that is what I've been told by a knowledgeable source for BLM claims in Placer county. Do you have a different feeling for the specific area I've mentioned? Thank you...........................63bkpkr

Excuse me but it seems like folks are a bit touchy and I would suggest that we are all in this together and I would appreciate if we could all be kinder to one another, just a suggestion. Oh, and we all need to protect what we have, how can we do that if we are quarreling amongst ourselves. "They" are out there and they want to take over and remove all of our freedoms! Thank you all very much!

Thanksgiving is coming in a few days and I thank everyone here for all the kind information I've been given in the past and for all that I will be given in the future cause for sure I need more knowledge. Have a Happy One Everybody as we do have a lot to be thankful for!

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I think the point of some of my posts was that I have put in the research where I live and I just wanted to try something different. After reading your most recent post I was trying to recall a time I went out with someone other than my wife and kids and I can't. I to have learned without the personal help from anyone. The Internet and YouTube have helped with basics. After a few years of trial and error I have figured how to do ok in a place where there is only small amounts of placer gold where there is enough water. If anyone would want to drive a few hours to dig all day for a few small flakes i would be happy to help. Lol still today I saw a 4 point buck and some wild horses while out hunting rock outcroppings for quartz stringers so Ill call this day a success.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got side tracked. again sorry. You must be in Nevada?....I realize its gonna get pretty cold how close are you to the Bodie area..there are a lot of claims there but, open ground too. P.M. Fullpan he knows Nevada. I don't like to broadcast spots neither do others...just because it can make a sweet spot a trampled spot. I cringe when someone is like" hey, Just go down Blah, blah creek rd...past the third campsite, two trees and a rock down great spot I talked to the Ranger he said its ok and I heard someone found a 49 pound nugget there...." It is not that I don't want fellas heading out like they're gonna get my gold...I don't like to hear directions to areas I will' never even go. I just know that theres a chance someone who puts in little effort may end up there, and not be as respectful as others. Not, saying that's you are like that just sayin. I have extended the offer to others....If you are ever up this way Placerville Auburn area. Hit me up I have a place for you to camp and find gold. Sluice , Pan, detect, fish....just let me know. Otherwise good luck in your search farther south. Again sorry to come across negatively.

bearclaw

Greenie
Oct 7, 2013
Grass Valley, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although this thread seems to get a bit heated there is some very important information that I have been wondering about and trying to find on my own.

mxer47 - I recently moved to the Grass Valley area and very quickly found myself jumping into the world of prospecting. I have only been doing it for a few months but with the help of this site and some research I have come a long ways and have had a lot of fun too. My biggest challenge starting off was "where". To answer your original question some public places I have found include:

Bear River Campground. This is where I cut my teeth. It has a day use parking lot that gives access to a huge gravel bar. I have gotten something in every pan and in every bucket. Its small stuff but its there.

South Yuba River State Park. From what I have found this is only hands and pans so might not be what you are looking for. Never been there myself because once I sluiced I couldn't imagine doing this only in a pan. To the same extent Malakoff Diggins State Park has some panning areas but hands and pans only.

Union Flat Campground. There is an area of the campground open to prospecting that allows sluices. I haven't been there yet myself but will probably take a trip when things warm up and do some camping.

Clay and others familiar with finding claims - Not finding a good source for claim information has been the number one thing keeping me from exploring into new areas. I finally figured out the LR2000 site and can find the claim(CAMC9683) mentioned by Clay north of the Iowa Hill bridge, but I can't find something that tells me exactly where the claim is located so I can avoid it when I finally do want to go down to the north fork. Does such a thing exist online? The LR2000 site seems great for finding the active claims in an area but some coordinates or map is also pretty nice to have. Does one need to go to the county courts to find this?

The last thing I want to do is jump someones claim. Ignorance is a poor defense, if I go out to a spot and set up a sluice box I believe it is my duty to know what I am doing is legal.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bearclaw - "does one need to go to the county courts to find this?" If you mean county recorders office, then the answer is YES. In Nevada county, the office is located in the Rood building just on the way out of Nevada City, heading north, on hwy 49 on the right.

this is just an overview, but ....

http://www.mynevadacounty.com/nc/recorder/Pages/Our-Responsibilities.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I am left wondering about the accuracy of the LR2000 simply because it is a product of the BLM. If I were to claim on BLM land I would only use the county process because i understand that is what the law requires. Now does anyone know if there is some synchronization between county's and the Feds to update the sight? Does anyone have a claim that doesn't show up on the LR2000? Just curious.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every mining claim must be recorded at the place for Public Records. Just about everywhere, including California, the place where public records are made is the County Recorder.

The location notice for every valid mining claim can be found in the public records. Each location must be described in such a way that it can be found on the ground. In California that means either a description by aliquot part or by metes and bounds tied to a permanent feature. Maps are useful and directions or descriptions can be added but the requirement of description by aliquot part or metes and bounds is always required for a valid claim.

For that area of the North Fork of the American River the Public Record is at the Placer County Recorder. All the mineral claims in Placer County are recorded in the Placer County Recorder's Office no matter how old they are. You can search for the claim there online. Search by the claim name. That will give you all the documents associated with the claim. It's important to find any amendments to the claim. Once you have found the claim records you can order copies of the claim documents from the County Recorder.

CAMC9683 is just the serial number assigned to the case file for the claim at the BLM. You won't find the claim notice at the County Recorder's office by using that number. The claim name is Eileen and the location is for a placer claim. I have those claim papers from the county recorder in front of me and the legal description of the location (by aliquot part) is:

THE WEST HALF OF THE SOUTHEAST QUARTER OF THE SOUTHWEST QUARTER OF SECTION 36, TOWNSHIP 15 NORTH RANGE 9 E.M.D.B.&M. CONTAINING 20 ACRES MORE OR LESS

SITUATED IN IOWA HILL MINING DISTRICT. COUNTY OF PLACER, STATE OF CALIFORNIA

Plot that description onto your map and you will see that it sits dead center on the river just upstream of the bridge. It covers part of the campground.

The BLM must receive notice that you have located a mining claim. That has been a requirement since 1976. That filing is for informational purposes only. It is to put the BLM on notice that the land status has changed for that described piece of land. The BLM does have copies of location notices in it's case files but they are not legal evidence of a claim. Claims are made on the public record at the County Recorder. No recording at the county = no claim, no matter how many case files or serial numbers the BLM has created.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread