Highway 49 slucing

SpaceJunk

Jun 29, 2013
San Jose
Detector(s) used
gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I belong to the gpaa, the UPI and soon I think the AMRA. When I go out to these claims I be sure to bring an lr2000 printout, Google maps of the area, mining clam books and any other information I can find about the claims I am visiting so that if I come across other people while I am at a claim it helps to sort out problems with people who may tell you you aren't supposed to be on that claim. Sometimes these people don't do their own research properly and top file on an existing claim, I myself may be prospecting just off of a claim unknowingly and if these people you meet see a big stack of research in your hands they will understand you are trying to do the right thing and not just there to claim jump them.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Always a good idea to have all the paperwork (or certified copies of it) with you while out working. It can go a long ways towards keeping jumpers in their place as well as keeping the LEOS happy. Between the paperwork and a good GPS unit it's hard for a jumper to say you're off your claim or they're not on yours. One of the sites I'm looking at is right next to a GPAA claim and though I hate to sound critical, a lot of the members can't read a map worth beans. We will carry the current claims guide so we have the GPS locations for their claims on hand and can politely show them that they're the ones "off the reservation".

Out here we also have to have a copy of the our approved Plan Of Operation (POO... Never was a piece of paperwork more aptly named!) on hand so the Forest Service can make sure we are following it. LOL Like I can afford to bring in a D-12 Dozer instead of that little towed backhoe!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Out here we also have to have a copy of the our approved Plan Of Operation (POO... Never was a piece of paperwork more aptly named!) on hand so the Forest Service can make sure we are following it.

You don't need a POO to prospect or do small mining projects. I hope they aren't still passing that nonsense around down there Jeff. The Forest Service there have had their heads handed to them by the courts more than once for putting out that nonsense. The Forest supervisor down there seems to have an inflation issue - her head has become so inflated with presumed importance she can't understand court orders. :laughing7:

SpaceJunk

Jun 29, 2013
San Jose
Detector(s) used
gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't need a POO to prospect or do small mining projects. I hope they aren't still passing that nonsense around down there Jeff. The Forest Service there have had their heads handed to them by the courts more than once for putting out that nonsense. The Forest supervisor down there seems to have an inflation issue - her head has become so inflated with presumed importance she can't understand court orders. :laughing7:

Here is a quick checklist of the conditions for needing to file a NOI or PoO. most of us using hand tools will not need to file with the FS. I always bring a copy of this with me when in National Forests just in case Ranger Rick has an issue with my activities.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5356906.pdf

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me too SJ. Smart to have the facts!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be required to have a POO or a NOI on file since I will most likely be running a small tractor to do the digging. By small I mean something like a Kobota mini hoe/loader. I've read the regs as well as some of the recent court decisions (IE: USA Vs Tierney) and I also have no intention of allowing our workings to become a hazard or an eyesore to others using the area for recreation. The last thing I want is to have anyone get hurt while crossing our claim or to have it look like the Copper Queen mine over in Bisbee. Talk about an eyesore! All disturbed areas will be filled back in before we leave the site. If the area allows, the current dig site will not be nearly as large as the hole Tierney left open for like seven months. My idea is to dig, process the materials right away, back fill, seed the area with native grass and then move to the next dig area. The size of our holes is going to depend on how far down it is to bed rock. Given the locations we're looking at I don't think it's going to be far at all. Still it's always better to have any and all paperwork on hand for any number of reasons that could come up.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mxer47, just read in another post your from Paradise. I'm originally from Paradise as well, now I'm two ridges over. In fact my offer earlier was near a few places you probably swam at.

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Fowledup, it is a small world. I can remember a hole called the nose. There was a huge boulder you could swim under and in the middle the roof held an air pocket you could breath from. It really freaked people out who didn't know it was there. There was a summer (1987) when my friends and I took 2 weeks and lived on a houseboat on the lake. That year it flooded and the wind packed all of the driftwood back up into the channels. The water was 80 degrees. We pushed through the wood to an outlet of a creek. The creek was ripe with crawdads and we feasted more than once. There was a pool and a waterfall with large trout and I'm sure some gold. Good times.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a small world. Earlier this past summer, before I jacked up my knee (again), my oldest son and I hiked the flume down to the Nose. That area is pretty slim Pickens, for prospecting but still a beautiful place to spend the day.
The lake is the lowest it's been in many years, lots more then Crawdads and fish showing up in them newly exposed creek inlets. If your ever back in the old stomping grounds give me a shout and we'll go for a boat ride, I'll show you what I mean.

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Excellent well do. Have you ever been down to butte creek by way of the old pg&e pond above paradise pines. There is a flume there too. I remember seeing equipment down there. I think it is richer on that side of the ridge. I know inskip and magalia were originally mining camps and they shed water into the butte. Also lucky John mine is on that side of the ridge. I lived at the corner of lucky john and billy rd.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very familiar with Butte Creek, it's my go to area if I have a free day. I'll take Butte Creek over the West Branch most any day. An hour drive, and an hour hike, I won't see a soul for the rest of the day. The world just got a little smaller. Most of my family still live off Billy in the Sawmill area. In the early 90's, the last time I lived in Paradise I lived at the end of Lucky John, on the corner of Evergreen and Wagstaff.

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
Been following this forum for months and appreciate all the info. I'm new to prospecting but have learned plenty from you guys, so many thanks for that!
In regards to the Eileen claim at the Mineral bar campground - as clay points out, the claim is at the western 1/2 of SESW. If you park at the day use parking area, then walk down through the campsite to the north you can get to the river bend quite easily north of the bridge. Takes about 10 or 15 minutes to get there, and the bend is located at the NESW quadrant - not on the Eileen claim. From what I've been able to research it doesn't appear that there are any claims at NESW, and from what I understand a claim cannot be staked here due to it being part of the wild and scenic river.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong (like I said, I'm new at this), but I hope you don't as this is one of my favourite spots :)

cagoldguy30

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had very good success on on molk. river on 49 both big bar launch and electra If I want to get some good small to large flakes I go there. I also got lucky and pulled a 2 gram super buttery nug. We ran 30 buckets along the front side of public access when we could use high bankers. I dont blame you for posting there are so many interesting looking creeks up that way. San Antonio Creek, North fork ( Can't remember witch >) There are also a few places in the lower part. I also noticed six mile creek ( angles ) anyone hit anything on public part ? also does anyone know where amra claim on Molkunme river is ?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread