historical research

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hi,
the last topic by atedeschi re new wrecks prompted me to post this new question. does anyone have any suggestion as to how to get information from state libraries, archives and maritime museums. my experience (at least here in australia) is that each supposedly public record facility I contact is always "short staffed" and refers me to another facility which in turn too is short staffed. on-line enquiries always end up in going in circles with the end result being "zilch" because "the web page you requested is no longer available".
what is a good, proven method of obtaining information from public libraries when one is not a member of the "inner circle" i.e. when one does not have an academic back ground. regards HH

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The short answer is to hire a researcher. If you want quality info, you gotta pay for it. Either you have to pay for air travel/driving to visit the archives yourself or pay someone in the inner circle to do it yourself.

For less quality info (but at least a starting point), check out all the recommended books on this forum and learn to use the interlibrary loan system.

Best,
Darren

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I suggest you check with the Liberary of Congress- they will answer you questions FOR REAL.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread