History book of the Detroit area.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I found this book on google books it's called "History of Detroit and Michigan" by Silas Farmer Printed in 1884. Most of the book is about Detroit and has tons of information. I don't know much about Detroit but there has to be some leads in the book to find some places to metal detect. One other thing in most towns they had a thing called Chautauqua's if you have never heard of these it would worth checking out. This is what the dictionary has about them: popular type of educational extension by means of lectures, summer schools and concerts modeled after one such school established in Chautauqua N.Y. They were church orientated and lasted from a couple of days to a week during the summer. I guy I know that's in his 90's went to them when he was a kid and said it would be a good place to look for coins. Thought this might be of some interest. Just trying to help people find some spots to detect this summer.

Wolverine.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Nice lead - I'm going to check that out, is google books an online book? I'll look for it now. Thank you very much!
Ian

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Okay - I found it. Very nice. I'm all over this book. I have a good knowledge of the area so I'm thinking I could pinpoint a few good spots from this. I'll keep you all posted,

thanks again,
Ian

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got a book today on the purple gang... i just picked it up for some extra reading its actually pretty intresting on how they smuggles booze from Canada to Detroit and then took it to chicago.. i bet there is some stuff buried along the Detroit river...Detroit has so much history.. and if you really think about it Detroit is a pretty bloody city.. from the blood of soldiers who found Detroit and the people who defended it and to the murders today.. i can honestly say that i believe Detroit's ground is soaked in blood of the past and present

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mich. Wolverine said:
I read in a post earlier I guy said that people made fun of the Michigan site because they don't find much.

Maybe for some reason or another, most in Michigan choose not to post their finds. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread