History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something about someone getting possessed by a priest or something. Plays into the whole Knights Templar and Grail/Ark theories, but I'd rather see more about the search and them digging. Even last week there was the story about the guy that saw a ghost and was so scared he swam back to shore.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the TV show at New Ross we have opened a company in Nova Scotia and we have returned 2 times with drilling and digging equipment to continue our research at the site. We have many metals in the ground that block our readings. So we did a dig and ran some test and now we know what kind of detecting equipment is needed at the site . Down in the states we don't have volcanos with Uranium, Magnatite, 102' of Clay and other metals like we have in New Ross. So when we did the show we did not know why our equipment went nuts :dontknow:. Now we do . We are working with the History Channel to return and look at what we found after the show aired. We plan to continue our work at this site and show what we find but our find will be a major find before we do a TV show on it. Ya we find smaller bones and metal objects at our site to but they are not worth the money to check out. Even if they come back dated from the 1300's everyone will say we planted them to so we are holding out for more major finds at the site that will prove they where not faked. The coconut fibers where found in 1960's and the carbon dating was done back then to and the dates are good. Ya , they found coconut fibers I do believe this and the dates are real. But I want to see something new , something major or bring this to a end.

TraceyS

Greenie
Jan 9, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something about someone getting possessed by a priest or something. Plays into the whole Knights Templar and Grail/Ark theories, but I'd rather see more about the search and them digging. Even last week there was the story about the guy that saw a ghost and was so scared he swam back to shore.

Yea, I gotta admit, the whole ghost story thing is going to ruin it for me as well. Was hilarious that the guy that swam back to shore apparently did so naked with a few personal items including a copy of the book "Elvis and Me" by Priscilla Presley. That's just too bizarre to make up!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They go down on the beach, dig a small hole before the tide comes in,
& miraculously found allot of coconut fiber possibly from the 13th. or 14th. century just that easy ?

and the under water boulders supposedly pointing towards the pit ?
wrong ! as they panned away from the air you could see the boulders pointing off on an angle from their imaginary line.. if lined up with a string would probably point a football field or more to the side :tongue3:

Jeff,

You must not have been paying attention. The old guy had dug coconut fiber at that cove many years ago. Thats why they staked the area out. He was trying to get as close as he could to where he dug them up before.

also, the cut stones pointed to a larger boulder on land with a "G" carved into it. They were surmising that the stones may have pointed to the Pit when they did the line drawing.

Mike

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to the old plan (not in this tv show) to drill a series of shafts around the money pit and use cryo to form a frozen ring so the pit can be excavated without seawater flooding it?

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave........................thanks for the welcome. :hello: I think there's a lot of physical evidence to suggest that something is or was buried on Oak Island.

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finderkeeper.........................after watching the video of the castle and the search of the well, I do believe you are on the right trail. I think your method of waiting until you find something of significance before doing a television program on it is a good plan. In the meantime, I hope you'll update us here and let us know whats going on with your search, and especially if you find something that is major.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghosts,demons. Swimming... ahh the drama. I'm disappointed with the History channel. Might as well be digging for gold and diamonds in Guyana. No deep involvement in history. I'm disappointed to say the least. The assumptions, conclusions that they develop amongst themselves just throws me farther away from the belief of anything being found. The History Channel is evolving into the reality tv show world of selling itself out to ratings. JMHO

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
psssst in the TV business it's all about the ratings!

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghosts,demons. Swimming... ahh the drama. I'm disappointed with the History channel. Might as well be digging for gold and diamonds in Guyana. No deep involvement in history. I'm disappointed to say the least. The assumptions, conclusions that they develop amongst themselves just throws me farther away from the belief of anything being found. The History Channel is evolving into the reality tv show world of selling itself out to ratings. JMHO

Off topic are you a member on jeepforums?

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome Jeff........:hello:

Since I haven't followed the mystery at Oak Island as closely as many here have, I found last night's episode of the Curse of Oak Island very interesting. Over the years I've read some articles on Oak Island, but haven't followed it on a year to year basis.

I knew that there had been carbon dating of some materials found in the various excavations on Oak Island, and knew that some dated back to pre-1750, but didn't know about the dating of the coconut fibers. From a viewer standpoint, I think it's important that was presented last night. When you have coconut fiber dating back to between the years 1260 - 1400, on the shore of an island in Nova Scotia, 1500 miles from the nearest coconut tree, it shows proof of early human activity on that island.

On the bones found, I think they will turn out to be animal bones. On the ghost story..........it's just that, a ghost story. The human imagination being what it is, being alone at night on an island with a mysterious history, the mind can become easily spooked.

I've been doing some reading on the Knights Templar and it would be exciting if whatever is or was buried on Oak Island was part of their treasure, things of historic significance. I would think that the dating of the coconut fibers to between the years 1260 - 1400 would support the Templar theory.

When I watched the first episode of Curse of Oak Island, at the end of the program and in the preview of upcoming episodes, I briefly caught mention of a menorah being found. Did anyone else catch that?

I'd like to hear from those here on this forum what they think about Nolan's Cross and of the markings that have been found on boulders on the island.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
props to Leila on the great grammar. I agree on the fun of watching, it's winter! what else ya got to do? I don't believe in bigfoot but I like seeing the crazies making the sounds..

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the ratings. I suspect that at the ending of this series on the Curse of Oak Island, that we'll see perhaps a few new clues. If the viewer ratings are good the History Channel may decide to do a Curse of Oak Island, Part 2. If Rick and Marty Lagina intend on continuing the search we might see continued documentary coverage.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and perfect logic as well

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all channels need good ratings. I notice the weather channel has a hard time getting the weather on of late.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mean to rain on a parade. Best wishes to all. I used to visit jeepforums. There's soo many out there. : )

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally off topic.................

I note the Jeep in your avatar. We're a jeep family. For many years we owned a 1946 Willys CJ2A and we currently have a completely restored 1948 Willys Overland stationwagon. We sold the 1946 CJ2A last year, but before it was sold we had the 1946, the 1948, and a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We just bought a 2006 Jeep Cherokee Overland.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you had me at willys, you had me at willys. Find a hot female avatar and you can add me as a friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread