Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to try and hunt Old Bellamy Road off of 214 in Alachula County. The mustang would not be a wise vehicle choice, so my '63 Chevy had to be up for the mission. I had never seen the road personally, but the pics on the Internet told me everything---Dukes of Hazard style. 214 actually has a road name, but I don't remember. I just knew that once the road took a left turn I would be on Bellamy Road. Once on Bellamy Road I saw fence on both sides and any gaps were openings for log trucks. Finally, the dirt/sand turned to pavement. I decided to check out an area not far from a road leading to a boat dock. Turned up several rust objects, small and of little consequence. Flakes to be exact. Then, I get a nice little hit at a +58 mixed with some ferrous. Silver??? I hoped. I dug down about a good 6 inches and checked the hole. It was already out. Got my pin pointer out and probed the dirt.....there it is!!! Lots of build up on it. About the size of a nickel, but thinner. Maybe a 1 or 1 1/2 reale??? Not sure, but didn't want to rub it. Went ahead and dropped it in my pouch. The rain was rolling in, scattered shower and I don't have covering for the battery box or display. As I beat feet back to the truck I tripped and fell. Clumsy me. Thought about hanging around and hunting more, but time was not on my side. Taillights and brake lights don't work, and besides, I was stoked about my find and wanted to clean it properly.
When I got home, the coin was not in the pouch!!!! What the f#€¥!!! Did I really drop it from my pouch when I tripped and fell????? Heart burn quickly set in with my anger. How could I have done that? I guess I will definitely be making my way back to that sight soon. Hopefully I can rediscover my coin and post it after cleaning it-----to be continued!!

Last edited:
Upvote 10

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain! Everytime I hunt I always think of how I can be better prepared the next time. Just last week I hunted with my 2 buds in a large field and noticed I lost my truck keys! Made me think that could have been a treasure I could have dropped. The good news is with persistence we back stepped that large field and found my keys lying on the ground - it sure felt like a needle in a haystack. I hope you can back step your tracks and find your fortune!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you gotta stop losing stuff...when your trying to find stuff

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel ya. When i was a younger man, i picked up a nice perdanales point in central Texas and stuck it in my back pocket.
Later when I got back to the truck, I realized there was a hole in my pocket. I back tracked but didnt spot it.
Even though ive found and still have a lot of nice stone artifacts from back in those days, that one still
wakes me up in the middle of the night and keeps me awake from time to time.

If you could back track with your detector, it should sound-off well on top of the ground.
Good luck.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Does your pouch have a strap. If it does look inside where the belt / strap is connected both sides. sometimes finds can lodge in the small recesses there.

Robert.

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
That sounds like a very nice find, sorry you lost it that happened to me once with a two cent piece and it really really bothered me I never found again however I wish good luck to find your coin!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope you find the coin. I believe using a small container for the good stuff is the way to go.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I can fell your pain, Alot of times I find a small coin or button and hope it gets in my Pouch. We have a Fantastic Metal Detecting Club in South Carolina.Would you believe no one says that they have one of these pictured Garrett Cointainers, I even e-mailed Garrett, not available. I use mine to take a few pill with me ( pain ) I detected for 12 hours one day on the Beach- 2 weeks before I had a total Hip Replace- out with the pill's and the reload with my smaller finds Garrett Cointainer.jpg

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I can fell your pain, Alot of times I find a small coin or button and hope it gets in my Pouch. We have a Fantastic Metal Detecting Club in South Carolina.Would you believe no one says that they have one of these pictured Garrett Cointainers, I even e-mailed Garrett, not available. I use mine to take a few pill with me ( pain ) I detected for 12 hours one day on the Beach- 2 weeks before I had a total Hip Replace- out with the pill's and the reload with my smaller finds View attachment 1105960

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread