sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Yesterday was the first sunny day we'd had since the water went back down. It's supposed to cool down afterwards, so I took the afternoon off to see how things looked. The bank runs 6 to 8 feet above the water during normal conditions, and the amber Hannis was laying in the sand that was left in the woods when the creek was out of its banks. It was cool to find something before I even made it to the water, but sometimes finding something that quickly has jinxed me in the past. I got in and started downstream and found the Chero-Cola, left it sitting on a bar and headed on until a big tree had me blocked big time. Figured I'd come up from another put-in another day and turned around for the trip back upstream, doing the close looking with my bucket. I got to a spot that has produced in the past, sorta like rapids compared to an otherwise lazy creek, and spotted the pottery bottle laying in full view on the bottom with the bricks and junk. I pulled it out, and was like wow, my first ginger beer, and not even a flake, just perfect. A couple of guys on ABnet kindly corrected me that it's not a ginger beer, but a master ink, which makes sense when you look at the shape of the lip. Better for pouring than for drinking. Seems it's common as the mud it's made from, but may as well be made of gold to me. Thanks for looking!

[/FONT]

Attachments

• arnold.jpg
    arnold.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 90
  • arnold1.jpg
    arnold1.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 49
  • arnold2.jpg
    arnold2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip That pottery bottle is sweet . I have a pottery bottle I found within the last year It contained sellzer water it was the first ceramic bottle I found also if they don't come along all that often for us then all we can think is they must be rare Great job on the ceramic bottle Hopefully finding one will break the drought and you will find a boat load over the next cpole of trips through

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice saves. I particularly like the stone ware bottles. I found 5 or 6 of them back in '64 as a construction worker. New building on the site of the former County courthouse building. I assumed they were master ink bottles. Sorry I sold them.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wooo hooo. Nice work sandchip....thats a darn nice creek to walk....full of bottles !!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good hunt! Congrats!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! Congratulations.
dts

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a DREAMER!!!!! Congratz.... BTW, does the tall green bottle have a name on it?

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a DREAMER!!!!! Congratz.... BTW, does the tall green bottle have a name on it?

No, it's a turn mold. It's got some lip damage, but I couldn't leave it behind.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ar great finds walking in the creek on a sunny day looks very productive congrats

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back yesterday a ways further down so that I could cover the stretch below where the tree had me blocked. Aside the absolutely beautiful day, the good Lord blessed me right off the bat. I hadn't gone 20 feet and was gonna look between the riprap at the entrance to a culvert. My right foot slipped hard to the left and down I went. My right hip hit one of the big rocks as my right hand went down to break my fall. That sure didn't feel too good, but I got up with maybe a tablespoon of water on my pants above my waders; fire radio, pistol, cell phone all dry and both bad knees feeling fine. As any of the old timers here will attest, a fall like that at 60 could've been disastrous, so if I hadn't found a thing, I was still one blessed old fool.

Well, enough of that. Trying to be a little more careful, I headed on. Found another Chero-Cola from Montezuma, Ga. with the backwards "N", just like the other one. I have one that my brother found in a hardware store over 40 years ago, but had never found one. Now, two in a week.

Kept moving upstream and came to a tree, went around it and spotted an aqua crown top at the edge of a bar. Another slick beer as usual, I thought. As I picked it up, I felt a heap of embossing and turned it around to see Chattanooga Brewing. Nice! An upgrade to the only other one I had found years ago which was a pretty sandblasted. It was full of sand and gravel with two pebbles firmly wedged in the mouth, so I turned back toward the tree where the light was a little better so that I could work on getting them out. That's when I spotted the pipe. Hot dog! Not five minutes earlier, I was thinking how you'd think I would've found a pipe in 45 years of looking a creek right here in town. Two (the other was in another creek out in the country) in a year made me a proud papa.

I kept the Whitney Glassworks base, because you rarely see stuff like that around here. I'll put it on my desk with all my other broke stuff for something to look at.

So, nothing earthshaking, but a great day, with my health being the biggest prize.

Attachments

• creek3.jpg
    creek3.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 43
  • creek4.jpg
    creek4.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 71
  • creek6.jpg
    creek6.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 56
  • creek7.jpg
    creek7.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
  • creek2.jpg
    creek2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 37

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip You do us old guys proud .By your skill and agility you kept from getting soaked before getting started And with eyes like a hawk you are scoping out some great looking bottles Since I am 66 I know all about the getting wet thinkin /hoping I found something special and end up with an altogether something different item You did bring back a few more good looking bottles . And I see why you would be excited about that pipe But you did not mention what the judges score was on your opening acrobatics was .I always have at least one judge that just does not iked my outfit so he gives me low scores no matter what But on the serious side I did like you story and the nice looking bottles your collected on your 2 trips And like most diggers think about their hobby They are thrilled when they locate some really great item .But rejoice in finding something that is just nice regular bottle .

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like tromping through the stream like a kid. I'm glad you are ok and more cautious! One of my son's first bottles was a master's ink. I do love the glazing on those. Congratulations on some nice keepers. I wish we would get a big rain to wash the bottles out!!! I always like the backwards letters!!!

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip You do us old guys proud .By your skill and agility you kept from getting soaked before getting started And with eyes like a hawk you are scoping out some great looking bottles Since I am 66 I know all about the getting wet thinkin /hoping I found something special and end up with an altogether something different item You did bring back a few more good looking bottles . And I see why you would be excited about that pipe But you did not mention what the judges score was on your opening acrobatics was .I always have at least one judge that just does not iked my outfit so he gives me low scores no matter what But on the serious side I did like you story and the nice looking bottles your collected on your 2 trips And like most diggers think about their hobby They are thrilled when they locate some really great item .But rejoice in finding something that is just nice regular bottle .

You know, it's wild how we picture folks that we've never met. What a surprise to find that you're 66 years old. I always thought you were about 25. Hey, upstairs I'll always be 12!

I sure as hell didn't feel skilled and agile. I'm just glad that I was where nobody could witness my slip & fall. It's a trade-off wearing those waders. They offer some protection, but really cramp your movement and flexibility. The hope and possibility of what lies beneath the sand in that creek keeps me going back year after year. You're right about thinking one thing and pulling something completely different. Spotting a dark cylindrical outline beneath the ripples, reaching in and, ugh, another quart amber beer from the convenience store upstream a ways. I've gotten to where I just feel for the stippling on the lower edge and bottom, and move on. But, once in a blue moon, that dark outline turns out to be something good. And that's all the motivation I need. Hope springs eternal.

Attachments

• black ale.jpg
    black ale.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 42

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water in the creek looks clear, those are some keepers there. I'M still recovering from a big sill myself. I dont bounce off concrete as good as I used to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread