Hmmmm......strange

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
as most of you know i had been out of the game for a few months(even now i'm still on a slow start). during that time i managed to accumulate (along with Missesmistergee) a rather large pile of pocket change which needed to be searched before being dumped. i had around $200 in all denominations. i dumped them out and got started while watching spongebob with my new granddaughter.(she stares at the colors and the music keeps her attention)(not to mention i love spongebob)anyway i'm pullin the usual, a couple wheats, a 1946 jefferson, a couple dozen coppers....etc. thats when the next three quarters i looked at were all the Puerto Rico's. this was the first time i saw them around here and i find 3 in a row. now here comes the strange part.......i'n nearing the end of the pile and as i'm sifting around i hear what sounds like silver :icon_scratch: i pull out a 40%er.....one of only a few halfs in the pile. for the life of me i don't know how this got in there. the only time i dropped halfs in the jar was right before i stopped for awhile and as far as i can recall out of the half dozen i threw in there had been rim checked and date checked. did i make a mistake and throw it in by accident? how come i didn't notice the silver sound when i dropped it in the can? as far as i can remember i didn't find any silver the last couple times i searched before the break. i can't believe i missed the silver rin AND the date AND threw it back.....this one really has me stumped but i'm glad i checked them before i dumped ;D

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
This happened to me once. As an individual who distinctly remembers the sound of silver in my youth, ie. my father, and the old guys jangling the change in their pockets, there is no valid excuse for such a mishap.
Here is what could have happened. The other day while edge searching a fed roll I almost missed a 40. It had a shiny edge and was sandwiched in between 2 coppers. It had a copper hue to it. When I pulled it the copper look disappeared revealing a very shiny edge. Quite possibly a reflection from the copper.
That one time I had tossed one it was also in a BU condition.

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Rich for the life of me i can't understand it as i ALWAYS edge check and then do a date check. no way should i have missed it as i wasn't finding much of anything at the time these were dumped in the jar.So it wasn't like i got my piles mixed up or anything...as far as i can remember i had no keepers for quite awhile.....somehow i had to have missed it. And i would have bet my paycheck that i never miss any. i guess it goes to show that even we miss some once in awhile. i guess that could be part of the reason we find a few 40%'s in rolls we know were previously searched.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watching spongebob with my new granddaughter

NOOO!!! Don't let you're granddaughter watch spongebob! He is really bad for kids! He way too self-absorbed! :tongue3:

I'm here all week - try the veal.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it a seed from Missesmistergee possibly? Just a thought....thinking outside of the box.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
No need to ever check dates. I check the rims first, then I take the whole roll and let them fall from one had into the other (accordian style). You hear the clink, clink, clink. I can only think of two times in my CRHing career that I caught a silver that way. Twice I found 40%ers that looked like clad rims (I was rushing and not being careful in my rim viewing). Sound is a dead giveaway. When I am done looking at the rims and doing the accordian drop from one hand to the other, I sort of cascasde drop them into the dump box. If I missed a silver in both tests I would hear it hit the bin. I have found those stupid "magician coins" with my accordian style drop several times, because they sound kind of hollow and different than normal. I call them stupid because sometimes it requires a magician to open the things. But nothing that a good set of metal cutters can't fix, but by then the "trick" is over for good.

Ususally I find the silvers in the roll before I even rim search because as I open the wrapper they jingle in my hand and I can hear that there is a keeper in there.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
No need to ever check dates. I check the rims first, then I take the whole roll and let them fall from one had into the other (accordian style). You hear the clink, clink, clink. I can only think of two times in my CRHing career that I caught a silver that way. Twice I found 40%ers that looked like clad rims (I was rushing and not being careful in my rim viewing). Sound is a dead giveaway. When I am done looking at the rims and doing the accordian drop from one hand to the other, I sort of cascasde drop them into the dump box. If I missed a silver in both tests I would hear it hit the bin. I have found those stupid "magician coins" with my accordian style drop several times, because they sound kind of hollow and different than normal. I call them stupid because sometimes it requires a magician to open the things. But nothing that a good set of metal cutters can't fix, but by then the "trick" is over for good.

Ususally I find the silvers in the roll before I even rim search because as I open the wrapper they jingle in my hand and I can hear that there is a keeper in there.

Jim

Exactly.

Mojo

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
NOOO!!! Don't let you're granddaughter watch spongebob! He is really bad for kids! He way too self-absorbed!

I'm here all week - try the veal.
:laughing9:good one PD :thumbsup:
Was it a seed from Missesmistergee possibly? Just a thought....thinking outside of the box.
i'm positive that the 3 Puerto Rico quarters were put in the jar by her as i always take a quick look at my change before dropping, but she's very good at spying silver in change and she has no reason to even have a half dollar. even if she did have one she would have just put it aside for me. it definitely was me who dumped that 40%. just can't figure how.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
laughing9:good one PD

Don't you feel sorry for my wife she has to listen to bad jokes like that all day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions