OP
OP
K

Kj Upton

Greenie
Feb 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for years and it feels like the top has been reached and it’s going downwards now. Every beach seems to get beaten to death and parks sports fields have little left to find anymore.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I wrong it seems the hobby is dying off. Too many newbies from YouTube videos, too many great machines and nobody carrying cash anymore. What’s your feelings on this?
I've been a relic hunter for 40 years , I don't hunt school yards and parks , what folks post on youtube has no ill effects on the hobby for me. too many great machines? I upgrade as needed , my newest machine is 10 years old and does just fine , after all it was once all the rage. I just obtained permission on close to 3000 acres with plenty of history to keep me busy for the rest of my days. but I agree on the point that kids these days are not wired for outdoor adventure.

OP
OP
K

Kj Upton

Greenie
Feb 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are still permissions to be had around here but even those are getting further away. Lol I drove out of the city an hour to a place last month that I had researched and was told by the farmer that I was the third person this year To knock on his door. I am lucky that my profession allows me to travel the planet but even in places far away I still fall into dig holes both on land and water. Not trying to dissuade others from the hobby just curious as to what others have to say

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many detectorists looking for attention and not treasure. Getting tired of seeing YouTube videos of pretty women detecting parks or beaches and finding nothing but clad. But they get 1,000 views a day because of the eye candy factor. Nothing will kill interest in this hobby faster than endless videos of people finding jack squat. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

There's still millions of pre-1900 coins out there in the dirt. You just have to go where no one has been before or where no one wants to go. Spots that are a mile hike in the woods, swampy areas and so on. Taking the easy way out doesn't work for this hobby.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of park Tot-lot hunting and kids and parents are always asking questions about the hobby and kids always want one for a gift, but I think once they get one and find a lot of trash they give up. YouTube spoils them to thinking every dig is going to be treasure. The video's are destroying the hobby in my opinion. If kids knew they had to dig a lot of junk before finding treasure they wouldn't quit. I think seeded hunts for kids would peak their interest enough to keep them interested.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
When I started detecting 52+ years ago, places to hunt were a dime a dozen. Relics and other spoils were, too. As the years went on, the "let's see who we can sue" game became very popular in the courts. Hell, people will sue anybody and everybody over the stupidest things. As such, property owners became worried about liability issues if people got hurt on their property. Other relic hunters that would sneak onto the property and leave trash and open holes didn't help either. As the hobby became more popular, relic hunters migrated to more populated public areas such as tot lots, old picnic areas, parks, etc., where no permission was needed. Not that things can't still be found in those settings, but the bounty has certainly become diminished. Good, productive permissions can still be found if one wants to invest their time doing their homework and knocking on doors. Here is where newer people and some old timers give up. Rejection can be a powerful disuasion. Also, I have found that many younger people are minimalists and lack an appreciation for history ... two ingredients not conducive to metal detecting.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started detecting 52+ years ago, places to hunt were a dime a dozen. Relics and other spoils were, too. As the years went on, the "let's see who we can sue" game became very popular in the courts. Hell, people will sue anybody and everybody over the stupidest things. As such, property owners became worried about liability issues if people got hurt on their property. Other relic hunters that would sneak onto the property and leave trash and open holes didn't help either. As the hobby became more popular, relic hunters migrated to more populated public areas such as tot lots, old picnic areas, parks, etc., where no permission was needed. Not that things can't still be found in those settings, but the bounty has certainly become diminished. Good, productive permissions can still be found if one wants to invest their time doing their homework and knocking on doors. Here is where newer people and some old timers give up. Rejection can be a powerful disuasion. Also, I have found that many younger people are minimalists and lack an appreciation for history ... two ingredients not conducive to metal detecting.
HOLY CRAPOLA.... NO WONDER YOU USE A SCREWDRIVER... when you started...
THATS ALL THEY HAD !

:P

:)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well............
I think the hobby has been severely "tarnished"... and the hobby has been wounded and walks with a limp.
The do what they want crowd...
The dig crap and toss back crowd...
The trespass crowd...
The dig right next to sunbather crowd...
The leave holes crowd...
Shall i continue ?
Has left very few places where a detectorist is greeted with a smile and allowed to detect that has not already been pounded.
BUT... just remember...
People loose stuff everyday... and some things allude those who the sprits of yester years don't want to have it.

If you love to detect... Keep on truckin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Am I wrong it seems the hobby is dying off. Too many newbies from YouTube videos, too many great machines and nobody carrying cash anymore. What’s your feelings on this?
Good-no actually great! I really don't care if the ashes are thrown out into the winds of time actually.
I've been digging in the dirt all my life basically, 60 yrs ago looking for arrowheads, nearing 55 yrs detecting.
Have always owned the best machines as time is the only thing that can't be reproduced so the odds are have the best equipment, for the time spent digging. (just my thoughts)

But the videos from the click bait(er's) are just that, (as stated) to gleam viewers to watch their amazing BS.

Certainly the public areas are getting beat. I drive by a school/park/church look at the green grass--then the reality check comes a knock'n--there's been folks looking at that same green for 50-60yrs now.

I smile to myself and just keep driving on-my 8000 plus acres of permissions are worn-but the endless dirt to roam isn't. Random drops are there and just waiting to be dug.

Plentiful-seldom-rewarding? ALWAYS-

Private permissions=A friendly wave from the land owners-a stop and chat once in awhile-a return of a tool/part they lost, a little gift to their Mrs a bell, crotal bell on a ribbon for the Xmas tree. A gift of maple syrup, a roast, or even some berries. When the permission come before the asking is great as the reputation of a person has gone out throughout the community.

Detecting getting old never just the body, for the mind that swings the machine it's a thrill still to plant the shovel into the dirt to retrieve what lays hidden.

So I really don't care what the world does regarding this passion-live or die I really don't care either way basically.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good-no actually great! I really don't care if the ashes are thrown out into the winds of time actually.
I've been digging in the dirt all my life basically, 60 yrs ago looking for arrowheads, nearing 55 yrs detecting.
Have always owned the best machines as time is the only thing that can't be reproduced so the odds are have the best equipment, for the time spent digging. (just my thoughts)

But the videos from the click bait(er's) are just that, (as stated) to gleam viewers to watch their amazing BS.

Certainly the public areas are getting beat. I drive by a school/park/church look at the green grass--then the reality check comes a knock'n--there's been folks looking at that same green for 50-60yrs now.

I smile to myself and just keep driving on-my 8000 plus acres of permissions are worn-but the endless dirt to roam isn't. Random drops are there and just waiting to be dug.

Plentiful-seldom-rewarding? ALWAYS-

Private permissions=A friendly wave from the land owners-a stop and chat once in awhile-a return of a tool/part they lost, a little gift to their Mrs a bell, crotal bell on a ribbon for the Xmas tree. A gift of maple syrup, a roast, or even some berries. When the permission come before the asking is great as the reputation of a person has gone out throughout the community.

Detecting getting old never just the body, for the mind that swings the machine it's a thrill still to plant the shovel into the dirt to retrieve what lays hidden.

So I really don't care what the world does regarding this passion-live or die I really don't care either way basically.
Hear hear ! ! !
Well said Peppers... Makes me proud your part of the RCT ship. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the next generation interested, it needs to be an app they can operate via their cell phone, maybe on a device similar to a selfie stick.
The "LOOK AT ME ! ! LOOK AT ME" generation crack me up... without it... they feel they are / would be no one... sliding into obscurity.

If they only knew what most of the people looking are really thinking. heh

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a relic hunter for 40 years , I don't hunt school yards and parks , what folks post on youtube has no ill effects on the hobby for me. too many great machines? I upgrade as needed , my newest machine is 10 years old and does just fine , after all it was once all the rage. I just obtained permission on close to 3000 acres with plenty of history to keep me busy for the rest of my days. but I agree on the point that kids these days are not wired for outdoor adventure.
I second ticndig. Plus, nearly all permissions in my area have been detected multiple times before - but don't let that stop you - because you'll still find things. When you think there are no more permissions look at old atlases, aerial photos, etc. and chances are you'll come across homesteads no longer there that still contain buried artifacts. Plus researching finds never gets old - or donating them in educational display cases to the local historical society.

Kids these days may still be wired for outdoor adventure, however, it is up to parents/grandparents to start them young and limit time on electronics. That also goes for tinkering which helps develop mechanical/problem solving skills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread