Why does every

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
Spiderweb in the woods have to hit me in the face. Seems like I spend more time swinging at webs than swinging my detector. They started showing up here in Georgia about a month ago. Thought my wife was being a real trooper and a big help until I realized she just wanted me to get the webs out of the way. 😁. Anyone else having these issues.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Florida, we have big banana spiders that will scare the heck out of you if you walk into its occupied webb unknowingly. Usually you can see them before it's too late.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spiderweb in the woods have to hit me in the face. Seems like I spend more time swinging at webs than swinging my detector. They started showing up here in Georgia about a month ago. Thought my wife was being a real trooper and a big help until I realized she just wanted me to get the webs out of the way. 😁. Anyone else having these issues.
Those spiders are really annoyed with you for destroying their webs. Don't you feel guilty. After all, the webs are their way of catching supper. The poor spiders are all gonna starve.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrestrial spiders don't give me a ton of trouble, the webs feel creepy, that's about it. There's some kind of spider that seems to live almost exclusively on branches that overhang water. If you hit the branch they get all over you and have very persistent annoyingly itchy bites. I've tried to figure out what they are but my search results only turn up aquatic fishing spiders, which are not them.

OP
OP
L

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
Terrestrial spiders don't give me a ton of trouble, the webs feel creepy, that's about it. There's some kind of spider that seems to live almost exclusively on branches that overhang water. If you hit the branch they get all over you and have very persistent annoyingly itchy bites. I've tried to figure out what they are but my search results only turn up aquatic fishing spiders, which are not them.
No clue on what insect is getting to you but wife is constantly getting bites and welts with the occasional tick. We both use Vicks just above our sock lines and spray. I hardly ever get any bites or itches just hate the spider webs that hit right under the nose or at hairline. Have you ever experienced stinging nettles. They are very annoying but only last a short time. Not going to let it stop me from detecting but early spring is my favorite time.

OP
OP
L

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
Those spiders are really annoyed with you for destroying their webs. Don't you feel guilty. After all, the webs are their way of catching supper. The poor spiders are all gonna starve.
The growth rate of the garden spiders and their ability to have even more webs within 24 hours tells me they are not having issues😊

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was literally out in the woods yesterday, hunting an area with lots of new growth little pine trees.(like Christmas trees.) the webs were unbelievable, every single pair of trees had them at face level. I try to walk with my detector out in front at head level (when not searching) for this reason. And I obviously encounter this a lot since I do so much woods detecting. But yesterday was beyond normal. Glad I’m not the only one.

OP
OP
L

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
I was literally out in the woods yesterday, hunting an area with lots of new growth little pine trees.(like Christmas trees.) the webs were unbelievable, every single pair of trees had them at face level. I try to walk with my detector out in front at head level (when not searching) for this reason. And I obviously encounter this a lot since I do so much woods detecting. But yesterday was beyond normal. Glad I’m not the only one.
Seems like they rebuild right behind you doesnt it?

OP
OP
L

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023
Another somewhat related incident happened here in Georgia yesterday. Cloudy rain threatening day just finished digging a muddy clay hole. Shovel was a mess so I bounced it against a nearby tree stump. Instantly more than a hundred bluish gray caterpillars rained down on me. I thought the rain had arrived😁

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another somewhat related incident happened here in Georgia yesterday. Cloudy rain threatening day just finished digging a muddy clay hole. Shovel was a mess so I bounced it against a nearby tree stump. Instantly more than a hundred bluish gray caterpillars rained down on me. I thought the rain had arrived😁
Don’t even get me started on the caterpillars. The brown tail moth is the worst one. And they have infested Maine wicked bad. As caterpillars they have 2 orange dots on their back. And it’s like poison ivy if you touch one. If you have respiratory issues, they can get into your throat and lungs, and cause you to die. They suck

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a detectorist and na artifact searcher, I walk mostly with my head down looking. You are missing all the good stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread