Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on where you are. Around here I’ve detected plenty of public parks and I don’t think I’ve ever had one person question why I’m doing or whether it was OK. I’ve occasionally had young people hang out being curious but they tend to lose interest and go away pretty quickly. Other than that I’ve not really had any issues. I don’t find a ton of stuff, but that’s ok. I enjoy the hunt even when I’m not finding a lot of good stuff. Worst case, any interesting thing and a couple of coins (even clad) and I’m happy. Throw in a relic and in super happy. It beats sitting home watching TV any day.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...... because of less great areas to hunt and less great finds....

Will finds like pull tabs and bottle caps and various trash items slowly climb here to banner status ?

:P

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
recently I have met a few individuals who take a lot of videos and such primarily to post on utube in the interest of gathering followers. I think this is to generate income.

I think there is a lot of content with very little real substance.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... on the serious side of this...
recently I have met a few individuals who take a lot of videos and such primarily to post on utube in the interest of gathering followers. I think this is to generate income.

I think there is a lot of content with very little real substance.
I think the guy who invented YouTube should get a Noble Prize... simply because of the creation of an excellent platform for sharing of knowledge for the betterment of persons overall.
BUT...
I think most of the videos on it are junk... done by people who received little to no attention when they were younger or those who just crave attention in any form... along with the worst... the people who think they are "legends in their own mind".
All fed the urge to continue making junk by the arse kissers who really have no life of their own and follow someone elses.

Like FakeBook... its a place where people act like they give a real crap and its all about the popularity contest.
Stroking another's ego is one of those things where one has to stand back and wonder generally about the motive... and sanity thereof.
There is sharing for the sake of sharing... creating for the sake of creating... for helping others.
And then there is the sharing, creating and claimed helping...
for the sake of helping themselves only.

Personally i could care less about watching someone else detect and for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone else would either other than to learn "how' if they do not know the basics of how to.
Watching someone else detect in real time... let alone on some video...
for me... is frustrating at best.
Its a joke to me really unless its something of major interest or importance or learning,,, or any other gaining way.
But to watch another scratch the earth is like watching someone else eat.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch metal detecting videos for the same reason I come here. To see the amazing coins and relic others are digging up. Especially rare finds, like GW buttons and 1652 tree coins. Seeing people find these items within 40 miles of my home keeps me digging and gives me hope that I'll find one eventually!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1973 I lived in a condo on the Venice (Calif) beach. On any summer evening before dinner I could walk the beach and pick up coins. I 'limited' myself to picking up only $1.00 in change. When it was windy, coins would appear like the tops of toadstools (mushrooms), just waiting to be picked, the wind having eroded most of the sand beneath the coin. Gone are those days. Today, part of that same area is a bird santuary; off limits to all. And that area that is still 'open' has pay parking and hoards of daily crowds.
" Metered parking near Venice Beach is usually $1 - $2 an hour. The Venice Beach public parking lots charge $5 - $9 during winter and $9 - $15 during summer." Who is going to MD with those parking rates? Not me.
Source: https://www.way.com/los-angeles/ven... near Venice Beach,and $9 - $15 during summer.
Don in SoCal

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So... on the serious side of this...

I think the guy who invented YouTube should get a Noble Prize... simply because of the creation of an excellent platform for sharing of knowledge for the betterment of persons overall.
BUT...
I think most of the videos on it are junk... done by people who received little to no attention when they were younger or those who just crave attention in any form... along with the worst... the people who think they are "legends in their own mind".
All fed the urge to continue making junk by the arse kissers who really have no life of their own and follow someone elses.

Like FakeBook... its a place where people act like they give a real crap and its all about the popularity contest.
Stroking another's ego is one of those things where one has to stand back and wonder generally about the motive... and sanity thereof.
There is sharing for the sake of sharing... creating for the sake of creating... for helping others.
And then there is the sharing, creating and claimed helping...
for the sake of helping themselves only.

Personally i could care less about watching someone else detect and for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone else would either other than to learn "how' if they do not know the basics of how to.
Watching someone else detect in real time... let alone on some video...
for me... is frustrating at best.
Its a joke to me really unless its something of major interest or importance or learning,,, or any other gaining way.
But to watch another scratch the earth is like watching someone else eat.
I admit I have watched a couple of videos.
The greatest thing is the time bar on the bottom.
I can do a 20+ minute video in a few minutes.
Scroll look what was dug, scroll, repeat, look at the results at the end.
Usually with "MUTE" clicked as I don't care for the music/over the top yelling some do.
(Really watching the 5 minute intro music/drive to a site is total waste of time.)
Some folks dig, say a few words, catty on, not bad viewing.
Mainly the videos that are doing setting reviews are the main viewing selection.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hobby is all but dead now days here in Florida, people bug you to death if they see you swinging a coil at a park, on the beach, around a school or old home site. They'll walk 500 feet across a field just to approach you and start asking questions: What are you doing, Who told you that you could do that, does so and so know you're here, do you have permission to be here, you're killing the grass....and the list goes on. I've been approached by cops, nosey people, surrounded by kids and on lookers wondering what I'm pulling out of the sand, what's in my pockets. Definitely changed in 30+ years. I will only go out now if I have written permission, on a cool day after a long down pour of rain, at an out of eyesight location.
The private permissions are the best.
I only have a couple where I need to inform the owner of being on the property.
I cherish the fact that most will say to me "I haven't seen you out digging Jim, is everything going OK?"
"Or we're cutting the hay/crop off the field."
The friendly wave, toot of the horn.
Always looking for a new patch of private dirt. But the 8-9000 acres help ward off any sense that it's dead.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The private permissions are the best.
I only have a couple where I need to inform the owner of being on the property.
I cherish the fact that most will say to me "I haven't seen you out digging Jim, is everything going OK?"
"Or we're cutting the hay/crop off the field."
The friendly wave, toot of the horn.
Always looking for a new patch of private dirt. But the 8-9000 acres help ward off any sense that it's dead.
Yeah... not me here....
Florida has a total area of 45.65 million acres, consisting of 2.32 million acres of coastal bays and sounds, 1.67 million acres of inland water, and 34.70 million acres of land area.

And i detect on average ...um......... 16.5 square feet of it.

The same curb strip is getting old and empty... After years... I have almost cleared the pull tabs... OH... and the bottlecaps.

J/k

Um beaches is all we got round here for the most part.

Winchester416

Feb 18, 2022
I only do private land... Same rule for hunting animals...

The minimum amount of State land you are actually allowed to hunt in Michigan makes it pointless...

I know allot of people whom do the shallows, but officially that’s not allowed either! Just like waterfowl hunting you need permission from the land owners, it’s not the same as fishing...

Now private land opportunities are abounding in Michigan... I just wish we had more treasure stories to go after...

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in my eyes!! Started swinging in 09' and never seen anyone back then doing it but over the last few years have seen some at the parks and schools from time to time. Thank goodness I don't hunt those places!!!

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Not in my eyes!! Started swinging in 09' and never seen anyone back then doing it but over the last few years have seen some at the parks and schools from time to time. Thank goodness I don't hunt those places!!!
Old thread but I'm adding my 10 cents here. Honestly treasure hunting has yielded much fruit for me and mine but the metal detecting thing has thus far proven to be a red herring. Too much time spent messing with it and not enough time actually finding the obvious stuff laying around in plain sight! We find things of meaningful value, typically of modern origin and right on the surface but messing with a detector has yielded an amazing quantity of worthless trash. The oldest coin I've yet found (in any kind of decent condition) is from 1954 and isn't worth a darn frankly. All the rest are modern clad, in very rough condition, effectively trash. It's like local, metallic findable history drops off sharply in the mid 1900s and 99% of it is beyond dating or restoration. Hmm. Why do I keep messing with this device, wasting mad hours that could better be spent on one of my more productive hobbies? A single piece of the gear I produce is worth more than all the old, rusty pieces of God knows what or mid 1900s bottles I've dug out put together. The metal detector finds trash, pure and simple. All the ghost towns in this state are early to mid 1900s so I wouldn't expect to do much better there especially considering they're probably all pretty hunted out at this point. The choice stuff is gonna be tough to find. Does this mean I'm giving up on detecting as a thing? No, not yet but my level of commitment to this specific method is limited to say the least. My desire to hump in more than a good, sensitive pinpointer is essentially non existent as the best results to date have come down to eyeball finds and there have been some real screamers I won't lie. Hunting relics and valuables is a lot of fun but to be frank, the metal detector scene hasn't exactly been the most productive approach to the situation THUS FAR. Maybe it'll change one day but I'm not counting on it, maybe one day. In the mean time my eyes work well enough.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the late '70s, I MD-ed the open fields in and around the Paul Revere School on Sunset Blvd. , West LA. Based on the number and age of finds, I had to have been the first in that area. I marked each days effort so as not to go over the same area the next day. It took nearly two months to compute the 'work'. The coin finds overflowed a Mason jar. I even submitted my finds report to a treasure mag. at that time.

Today, I don't believe that type of opportunity still exists. That being said, I'm still interested in the hunt. Researcing new (old) areas, meeting people in route and seeing new places has replaced the anticipation of being the first in an area-- or the last.
Don in SoCal

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like a lot of land is owned by out of state industrial corporations or timber companies and just finding someone who can give permission is rather difficult.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
It seems like a lot of land is owned by out of state industrial corporations or timber companies and just finding someone who can give permission is rather difficult.
Yes that's very true, like who to talk to right

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the number of detectors sold just by Minelab alone I would not say it is doing at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread