Hoes, or digging tools found in Central Texas, ?

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Hi there, I found these two in different areas of one another. The light colored one I found off of Onion Creek, TX by a rock quarry that I go to for one of our clients at work; it was mostly buried when found. The second was found off of the Colorado river in Central TX off of a cutbank drop off in the mud on the rivers edge. They are very similar in shape, length, and width. They measure about 5.5 inches in length, just made of different types of Chert. I think they were used as digging tools of some sort, so I think. I think this because the are oblong, kind of think, and the edges aren't sharp. I don't think they are preforms. Anyway, if anyone has anything similar from TX, please post so I can see the similarities. Thanks, and happy Hunting.

Attachments

• DSC00396-1.JPG
    DSC00396-1.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,153
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
If they were digging tools, you'd more or less expect to find one end of each rounded-off and polished from use.

They're puzzlers on this end :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Yep, the one with the light colored chert has some serious polishing on one of the ends. what about hafting?? One of the ends looks like it is smoothed all the way around, just on one end. These peices really got me wondering, but I still beleive they were used for digging. I am going to put a ? on these 2. Again, they both are pretty thick, a little over 5 inches in length, and the edges aren't sharp at all. Perfect for digging tools.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a digging tool maybe?? Sorta like yours but the end is rounded. Sorry for the bad pics light was bad and I had some other things going on. Hope it was ok to post on your thread.
TnMtns

Attachments

• 100_2405.JPG
    100_2405.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 702
OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Nice Example TN, that really is similar to what mine look like, except my two are a little bigger. Yours looks thick like mine do, which is why I think they would be good for digging. The edges aren't sharp are they?? Anyways, it's good to see that there are some similarities. Any examples from TX, anyone? Keep in Mind these two pieces are about 6 inches in length, thick, and are dulled all around the edges; Just really beefed up.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends, TnM

If yours is a biface, maybe.

If it's a uniface, it would likely be a crested blade, which is the first removal from a nodule prepared as a blade core. Preliminary transverse removals create a "crest" running vertically to guide the first vertical removal down the length of the core. From that point, subsequent blades, using the vertical scars of the first one, follow it.

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
Adam,

I did not know they were so long when you were describing them. Plus you could not have picked two more random places to find them. Just a one thought wonder but maybe they were not used for identical purposes??? The Onion Creek one seems more likely to have been a hoe or similar type of tool. The lake shore one could be any number of things. :icon_scratch:

I hope your travels are going well. I am photographing our finds from the weekend today. I forgot to tell you that I did find one thing after you left... A golf ball. Right next to the natural spring on the opposite side. Thanks again and let me know what your next few weeks holds in terms of travel. Later.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abarnard said:
Nice Example TN, that really is similar to what mine look like, except my two are a little bigger. Yours looks thick like mine do, which is why I think they would be good for digging. The edges aren't sharp are they?? Anyways, it's good to see that there are some similarities. Any examples from TX, anyone? Keep in Mind these two pieces are about 6 inches in length, thick, and are dulled all around the edges; Just really beefed up.

Nope edges dull its a bi-face rounded on one end and sharper or pointed on the other. Its about 3/16 shy of 6". Thick. Maybe Bravo has something like yours from Texas?
Later Abarnard
TnMtns

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
The flaking patterns etc. are different than that of a Guadalupe biface. That was my first guess, but I think that they are not, IMO. Thanks, you got a pic??

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice finds, they look like handheld knives imo. I've got a couple similar pieces from Tn. that were associated with the Dalton culture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread