Holes in Ocala

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Sunday morning I stopped to look over a potential spot that I noticed in the newspaper. I walked the Titan down the removed sidewalk, turned at the end and then begin to notice some holes out on the actual construction lot. Concerned, I kicked them in best I could, ( only had a small gator blade with me ) but it got worse. I walked the depth of the lot and it was loaded with holes, they were huge by detecting standards. I 'm going to say they were dug by a full size shovel. Many were 3 and four shovel fulls deep. This is the third time I have been able to tell someones detecting, first a construction site, second park and now this. I feel no matter what the site, construction - beach sand - park, no one should be able to tell you dug. PERIOD ! My standards are very high, and I'd even be OK fixing something up if they tried and didn't do to good, but this was no effort made period.
I've only crossed paths with one other detector this year,but I know their are quite a few in the area, so please keep your eye's open and correct / educate this person or persons if you come across them.
Thanks for listening,
Sherpa t
( Mike)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were on a Construction Site, Are you Shure they Wern't Dug by the Construction Workers ?

you said about 3 - 4 Shovels Full deep.

That's about Right for PERK TESTS.

or is Ocala on the Sewer System ?

OP
OP
S

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
The site is being paved over for a used car lot extension. Very trashy ground, I wanted to think they (contractor) may have done it, but the more I looked at what was done, the shear number of holes and the random sizes and locations it was pretty hard not to conclude the site had been hit. Maybe deep gives the wrong impression, but a hole with a shovel full of soil on the right and two on the left, like I said pretty big by detecting standards. There were maybe 5 that size, one or two long and deep ( the four shovel full ) where it looked like they missed and took more scoops at it. Then alot of one scoop holes. the dirt piles had chop lines across them. I felt really bad and wished I had a garden rake, it shakes you up, I'd have been mortified if someone came along and thought I did that, heck I even fix the squirrel diggings so people don't think it's from detecting. With all the trash in the soil I'd guess they were hitting deep alum can signals, etc.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea i Know what you Mean Sherpa.

I'v filled Animal Diggings TOO out of Fear of Being Accused.

One Site I did a few years ago. (A Park) There was a Wooded area With Holes all over.

I purposly Brought it up to the Grounds Keeper, That they were there & I was Trying to Fill Them in.

He said they Were aware of Them & couldn't Figure out Wat was Doing it.

I still don't know. Detectorist or Animal, But I'm Leaning Towards Animal.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a detector slob here in my city too. Several times I have gone to a site to find dozens of open holes. I could tell it was a detectorist because I was finding discarded pieces of scrap metal and nails laying close by. One place in particular had been graded and leveled in prep for concrete and there was holes and footprints where a detectorist had been! Some people are just ignorant slobs! Then there's the guy who couldn't hit a urinal with a fire hose! Every time I have to go wading in a mens room I want to catch him and make him do tha' chicken! Just another of my pet peeves! :-[ One has nothing to do with the other necessarilly but I'd bet it's the same guy! So if it's you, stop it dammit! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread