Holy crap I actually found something....

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it wasnt clad! It is a 1884 indian head penny!!!!!! My first real find since I started metal detecting. Their doing construction next to my house and finally took the fence down. Well I seen they were digging between the sidewalk and the road. Now the area dates back to 1822 this road does, well I seem a bunch of old road bricks and the first swing of the md I hit it and seen it laying on top, well figured it was a penny so I scraped the dirt off and seen the wheat on the back!!!!! I started getting giddy lol. Oh I'm so glad I finally found something besides clad and tabs!

By the way how do you clean them? I put it in peroxide and scrubbed a bit with a toothbrush. Lol ill admit only soaked for 2 seconds, man I'm freakimg excited, all right by everybody I'm going back out! Just figured I'd share my first with all of you.

Upvote 7

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got to be careful when cleaning and especially using the hot peroxide.

I found a 1903 Indian cent earlier this year and threw them in with my wheat cents. I didn't realize until a couple of weeks later when I went to clean them. I have only found a handful of Indian cents so I am glad when I run across any.

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. I never found an Indian head cent. Do you think you can post a pic? That would be awesome!8-)

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put some peroxide in a cup and place it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Remove cup, drop in coin, let fizz until it stops. clean with tooth brush, tooth pic or rub baking soda into coin to remove oxidation. Great for non key coins or copper relics.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find,congratulations! Indian cents are neat lil coins.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would hunt that area real good.You could have found a great spot.Good luck.A nd congrats on your find.HH.

OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would post pics but for some reason it won't let me from my iPod. I don't understand why.

I went back but I can't get much depth with my md it's just a cheapy I picked up at a GS. I ended up finding a old model t hub bearing cover a flat lug nut cover and a live electric box. The last one was weird it was beeping great until it came to the surface and my md died, lol I stuck my knife behind it and hit the wire. Sparks and a burn is what I got outta that lol. Ill have to tell the crew foreman about it in the morning.
This was the oldest coin I have found MDing and it rebooked me into it. After digging 42 tabs the other day and only a penny to show I was done for the winter but I think I'll keep at it till the freeze. Heading to a buddy's tomorrow that lives in a house built in 1921 so I'm hoping for a silver, fingers crossed.
Thank you for the tip to clean it, I will finish it tomorrow I'm beat its been a long day.

To the guy who never found one, like I said my first. Just keep going and keep a eye out for older places that has been under dirt for years. I wasnt even going to go but boy, I'm glad I did lol. I wish I had me a better md it be great to hit some of the spots, especially that one, that I've hunted. Seems all the good stuff is just outta my reach.

Good luck everybody if I figure out how to get a pic up ill be sure I do. Have a great day!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't trust much when it comes to cleaning. My Indians and wheats look real good after I soak them in a olive or veg oil for a day. Really brings out detail and protects them from the air.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, my son found a Indian Head, we cleaned it trying to make the date clearer with hot peroxide. It really didn't do much for me. I'm liking distilled water and lemon juice and olive oil really brings out the detail the best for me. If I find an Indian Head and I can read the date I'm just putting it in olive oil for a six month bath. If I can't read the date I'll try some short few minute baths in distilled water and lemon juice followed by rubbing in olive oil to see of I can pop a date.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the indian cent. I only found 2 in three years! 1908 and 1888. Love indian cents...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Indian cent, awesome isn't it! Any place they are tearing up the sidewalks or streets has REAL potential , search it when you see it, it gets re buried fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions