HOLY CRAP! THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
This was by far my best weekend EVER. I'm going to write as detailed of a story as I can, so thank you if you take the time to read it all.

My weekend started with me heading out at 5:45AM on Saturday morning. Hit up about 10 sales, (now it's 9) and had bought minimal things:
IMG_9161.JPG

Was pretty disappointed. Anyways, decided to head to a big estate sale that started at 9:30, on my way over, I saw a sign for another estate sale, so I had to stop. I paid 20 bucks for this stuff. 2 timex watches, a fossil watch, a seiko watch, a citizen watch, the gold in the bottom left corner of the pic, and a sterling necklace. ALL FOR 20. Now my morning was turning around, and I was happier haha.
IMG_9160.JPG

Went to the estate sale. Pretty burn. Supppper over priced, but I got this (Pearl???) necklace for 3 bucks. Clasp is silver.
IMG_9162.JPG

One more sale left for the day, it had started at 7 so my expectations were 0. Dive 15 minutes to the sale, and they don't have anything. (No surprise). On my trek home, I see signs for a garage sale not advertised. I followed them, and end up at this lady's house who is definitely a hoarder. She has storage units full of stuff (she said). Nothing I'm interested in. Left my card and asked her to call me if she found any jewelry or coins. As I was walking away, she said "HEY! Do you like watches? I have some vintage ones upstairs". OF COURSE! I'd love to take a look. She comes back with these 2 baby's. Get them for 30 bucks a piece! BINGO! Fully ticking and working and keeping time.
IMG_9163.JPG

After just about pissing my pants, (10:30 now), I head home to catch up on some sleep. But, whats this?, another sign. I followed the signs to a sale that was 2 blocks away from my house. Heres how the convo went. Hey do you have any jewelry? No, sorry. Do you think your wife has anything she wants to get rid of? Let me ask her... No. *I look around for a little* Hey! Look at this, I found this in a toolbox a while back, anything special? Not sure, its not spamped, and the stones look off, can I test it? Sure. *I go to the car and come back with my whole kit* Hey! I found 2 wedding banks for you to buy too. (They are both stamped 14kt. I test the bands and realized they are real, and the other ring is a mystery). I tell him, 10 bucks a gram, and i'll pay 10 bucks a gram for the mystery ring too. BOOM! 5g of 14kt gold for 50 bucks. Now I'm happy. I tell him, I'll be right back, I'm going to run home and bring you back one of my card, I ran out already. *5 minutes later I return* He says- Hey I found some more stuff for you. Holding out a hand full of gold. Long story short, I spent 30 minutes, filed down, tested everything, paid him another 420 bucks, and we parted ways. Melt is 900+ a 10kt gold ring with 31 small diamonds, jewelry sold me i could get 350 for it 0.0. Funniest thing was I asked him how he convinced his wife to sell her stuff, and he said: SHHH! She never wears this stuff anymore, she doesn't need it. HAHA! Most was 14kt, the 9.8g bracelet of tri-gold was 18kt. Pissed myself a little on the drive home....
IMG_9164.JPG
IMG_9165.JPG
IMG_9158.JPG

Now, I don't usually hunt on Sundays, but once again I felt compelled to go. This was my second Sunday hunt. Only 5 sales I could find online, and some were a 20 minute drive from my house, in opposite directions! Whatever, I decided to go. 1 sale started at 6, 2 at 7, and 2 at 8. Went to the 6 o'clock sale, got there at 6:20, nothing good. Get to the first 7 oclock sale at 6:35, and the guy is suppppper pissed I'm there early, anyways I buy a pair of Oakly's for a dollar. 7 rolls around I go back to the sale house, and he has more stuff out and informs me his 2 finds are coming over to sell stuff. Assures me there will ne NO jewelry. 7:05, first friend shows up, I buy a PS2 with a bunch of add ons for 5 bucks. Now I'm waiting for guy number 3. 7:10 NO, 7:20 NO, 7:30 finally rolls around and he shows up, and what do you know! A jewelry box. I open it up, see a bunch of crap, but also notice a MEX925 mark. I Immediately closed the box and said "Hows 3 sound for the box?" He said- "Naa 5". We settled at 4. Box had 2 925 Mexican silver bracelets, 2 Mexican silver rings, a 1.6g 18kt gold chain, and another 14kt gold necklace weighing 1.4g (not pictures).
IMG_9166.JPG

Head to the second 7 o'clock sale. Was a small estate sale. Picked up this stuff for 50. 2 citizen watches, a vintage Wittnauer watch, 2 sterling rings, 2 sterling pins, and I feel like I'm forgetting something else.... Oh well.
IMG_9167.JPG

Last 2 sales at 8 gave up a small sterling pendant, not worth much, no need for a picture. But after this sale, I noticed there was a nice looking sale 40 minutes east (20 minutes east of my house). Hell, what else do I have today? Nothing, I decided to go.
Sale got me another PS2 for 5 bucks haha. But once again, ANOTHER SIGN! I followed the sign for a few miles and finally found it, and I sure glad I did! Looked around, and got 2 Zippo lighters and a coach handbag for 6 bucks. Asked about jewelry, and his wife came out with a bunch. Nothing good. He said they had some silverware. I asked if I could see it. 15 minutes later she comes out with this giant crate of silverware. They said they usually sell all the silver to their buyer- whatever. I look through it, and notice it is all plated or stainless. I tell him this and continue to dig. I find these interesting pieces that aren't stamped with words or numbers, but symbols. I remember reading somewhere that a lion means sterling. So I took all the pieces out and offered them 20 bucks for the 13 pieces. (Thinking I was taking a gamble by not knowing. If I knew for a fact they were sterling, I would have paid more. I hate taking advantage of people.) Get home, do some research, they are all sterling silver from the 1700's. Weight is over 35oz. HOLY SH*T! I just about died after testing it and researching the marks haha. CRAZY stuff out there, you never know what you'll find.
image-2911250116.jpg
image-3852863842.jpg

Now, keep in mind that I've only included the good stuff. Of course there was a bunch of costume jewelry mixes in with the nice stuff, and I bought other small little things that will fetch a few bucks here and there. But damn, this was the best week I've had yet. Now a have a few questions for you guys.

1. Any idea on what this stone is? Changes color between red, blue, and green depending on the light. They aren't in any kind of PM's.
IMG_9168.JPG

2. Any idea if these are real pearls?
IMG_9169.JPG

3. I'm 95% sure this is a PT ring with diamonds and sapphires. Tested + for PT, and sets my diamond tester off crazy.
IMG_9156.JPG
IMG_9157.JPG
IMG_9155.JPG

4. Any idea on the other stamps from the silver ware? Anything to help narrow my research would be great. Sorry the pics inverted.
image-3852863842.jpg

5. Where are these from? I'm thinking native american, but then again, I don't know much.
IMG_9170.JPG

6. Anyone know what this stamp is? 175. Paid 20 buck for this little thing from the lady with the silverware. Any info on this at all is appreciated.
image-2605884256.jpg
image-4095276083.jpg

Thank you all for reading, hope you had good weeks too!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! you rocking & rolling.... Like the Longines watch

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea on value? Its very unique in the sense that the glass is curved.
Well if its a solid gold case it would have at the least a value of $300. plus. If its gold filled 10K or 14K I'll bet you'd get at least $85.00 on an auction and it could with ease go double that, but I'd do a - IF GOLDFILLED - a "buy now" at $225.00 with a offer option of $185.00 minimum and smile with that amount if it came along. The Bulova, that should sell between $85.00 to the $135.00 range I'd guess, but be sure its not cased in solid gold. These prices are in working condition and don't waist your money having them cleaned and oiled. Most watches I've sold I've not got that cost back out of it and I got a guy that will for me do it for $100.... If running and keeping decent time, you'll find a buyer that will pay a good amount for a nice vintage "mens" wristwatch. You should find plenty of the same Bulova's and Longines like yours in ebay completed sales for you to estimate the value.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow I read it all...AWESOME, Im new so please bear with me... Im wondering...

1) What testing kit did you use? Link to it?
2) What does your card say? I have cards I drop off saying I will pick up leftovers for free but thats it..
THANKS AND HAPPY HUNTING! Great scores..

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
wow I read it all...AWESOME, Im new so please bear with me... Im wondering...

1) What testing kit did you use? Link to it?
2) What does your card say? I have cards I drop off saying I will pick up leftovers for free but thats it..
THANKS AND HAPPY HUNTING! Great scores..

I'll get you your answers tomorrow, I'm about to go to bed, but I'm new too! Haha, been with silver and gold about 6 months, and then doing this stuff for maybe 3.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
And just to make everything better this was left on my car Saturday evening when I went Office Depot. With a number on top haha.

image-667456337.jpg

Last edited:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Omega- the Ring watch is Russian Yanka. But- the 175 marking means its electroplated @ or less than .175 microns thick according to international marking.
Pretty good finds all around! Congrats.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Omega- the Ring watch is Russian Yanka. But- the 175 marking means its electroplated @ or less than .175 microns thick according to international marking.
Pretty good finds all around! Congrats.

That's what I thought, thanks! Still a cool little thing, and even if I lose money on it, I'm making bank of the silverware haha.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

About the silverware: They are English Sterling made in London post 1822 since the leopard head is no longer crowned. The date mark and sovereign head are hard to make out but it seems to me to be for 1848. The other thing which makes me believe they are 19th Century is the style of decoration and that the fork has 4 tines. The makers mark from the larger spoon is

DL
EL
CL

See the following webpage.

English silver marks: the guide to hallmarks of London sterling silver

These pages might give you a reference point on values.

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiques/Silver/Flatware_and_Cutlery?period=19600

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiques/Silver/Flatware_and_Cutlery?period=19600

Last edited:

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could the stones be alexandrite? Just thowing this out because my mom has an alexandrite ring.

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To test the pearls, wipe them with disinfectant then rub one on your teeth... if they feel sandy and send a shiver down your spine, they are real. If they are smooth, fakes

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Be careful, check with local laws regarding precious metals transactions (because you are conducting this as a real business with scales, acid test, business cards). In most places you need to be registered to do this and have "wights and measures" calibrate your scales.

2. When you see silverware in a lot and you either know or think there is sterling in the mix, ALWAYS offer to buy the whole lot. If you pick out the good stuff you risk getting a high price quote or having the seller decide to keep the pieces. Also, if you buy the whole lot, there is likely stuff in there you may have missed upon initial inspection.

3. Looks like you know what you are doing when it comes to the watches. So, why did you buy the timex and other cheap watches? They are nearly impossible to resell.

4. Why do you think that silverware is from the 1700s? Not that old, IMO.

5. Great scores, congrats. I think you are hooked now.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread