Holy Submersible Batman (Nome)

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's hoe it doesn't break on him, I'm sure he paid a lot of money for it, and if he's underwater, he could be in some serious trouble. I wonder how much gold he'd have to find to break even...
quite a bit ! For sure .. It is pretty cool thou don't think it will be practical as I can't count the number of times iv spent beating the crap out of a cobble stuck on a nozzle even when the waters off!
Thou I must say john hat the funniest comment bout fell off the couch... When I read it !

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I could just see me now driveing that rig up the Missouri River now! id have to put some airhorns on it though! and maybe some flashing lights,and a loud stero by the bar-b-que pit! YEAHA, ride em baby!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a new Discovery show...Pimp my Million Dollar Suction, Crawler, Submersible, Money Pit, Non-Gold getting Dredge! For added drama they would bring in a whole bunch of Steve Ridels as your employees and turn them loose!

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure the guys up in Nome will have more details

What a worthless piece of junk. Yes it looks cool, but it only ran for maybe 30 hours, probably more like 10 hours of actual nozzle time. I don't actually know.

I think that it's been parked since the end of the first summer it came up, I think that was 2010. I has not moved in years.

I heard it took him 10 years to build it, and I'm guessing over $2M. Now it is rusting away, and he lost all his leases except one, because he could not produce any gold off them in the 10 years he owned them. The State resold those leases for over $5M in 2011.

There are about a dozen fatal flaws in the design. But yes, looks cool.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G1 - NO I would not touch that'n for all the gold in the ocean. Plugups #1 dredge problem-now how ya gonna move boulders outta the way and stack cobble,then absolutely NO visability with that thang. A 10" requires at least 2- 2300 gpm pumps suckn' up another 3,000+++gpm so think of a jet boat putting out over 15,000gpm a MINUTE. With a dredge a man on the nozzle and viz a pain in AK waters as shown constantly on tv sooooooooooo when you move that much water your gonna muck up miles of sea and then you can't see to operate. Stability will be moot as that water blast will blow ya around like a fly in a tornado. On and on,not trying to buzz kill just assinine waste a piles a cash with NO COMMON SENSE-Always remember the ol' KISS rule and prosper,lean,mean,clean,quiet and good to go.....John

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G1 - NO I would not touch that'n for all the gold in the ocean. Plugups #1 dredge problem-now how ya gonna move boulders outta the way and stack cobble,then absolutely NO visability with that thang. A 10" requires at least 2- 2300 gpm pumps suckn' up another 3,000+++gpm so think of a jet boat putting out over 15,000gpm a MINUTE. With a dredge a man on the nozzle and viz a pain in AK waters as shown constantly on tv sooooooooooo when you move that much water your gonna muck up miles of sea and then you can't see to operate. Stability will be moot as that water blast will blow ya around like a fly in a tornado. On and on,not trying to buzz kill just assinine waste a piles a cash with NO COMMON SENSE-Always remember the ol' KISS rule and prosper,lean,mean,clean,quiet and good to go.....John
Oh I understand just felt kinda bad for the fella .. He was already out 2 million .. Thought I might make him feel a little better since he wasn't getting any gold ..
I guess we now know why he didn't want it posted !

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh I understand just felt kinda bad for the fella ..

Yeah, I definitely feel bad for the guy. The design, engineering, and construction of that was very good, and it looks very cool; everything except the material extraction and gold separation. But, it's supposed to be a gold mining apparatus, so gold collection was the whole point of building it; but it seemed like a poorly executed afterthought. Very sad.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, agree with John on these issues. That thing reminds me of Jacques Cousteau's adventures in the seventies ! He built and operated submarines and invented many stuff but he was not dredging as long as I can remember . Just doing marine research.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, its been sitting for almost 5 years?!

Discovery ought to pick that up and give it to a new crew so we have something funny and entertaining to watch next season. :D

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
It is for sale. I can get you the guy's number. It would likely take $50k in new hydraulics to get it up and running again, and a couple months of modification to actually be able to mine.

I wonder what will happen to shows like Bering Sea Gold now that the new president of Discovery has banned fake documentaries.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHAT? no fake docudramas? oh the humanity

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
poor turd hoffman

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lmfao

Well maybe we can see some real gold for a change. :)

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poor turd hoffman

LMAO, oh boy that just made my morning and I don't know why.

How much fuel does that behemoth burn an hour? Maybe if he would have built the submersible to be modular to a ship... he wouldn't have gone bust. That whole copyright argument gave me a good chuckle. Posting something on public domain on the net is like standing in the street with your picture then getting mad when everyone starts talking about the picture. I'm going to post a picture of sliced bread, where's my annuity?

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I still would like for them to let me take this up the Missouri River to try-er-out for them! they can video me pulling up to the riverside bars and tipping a few and going out dredgeing after that!:) Heck the local news coverage would be worth it alone!! I wonder if theyed post bail for me if the CGor the water patrol:headbang: was to find me??
cry.gif

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with Reed - we all pitch in and buy it, put a big green bow on it and donate it to the sierra fund anonymously.

No more fake docu drama reality shows huh? WHen was that supposed to start?

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still would like for them to let me take this up the Missouri River to try-er-out for them! they can video me pulling up to the riverside bars and tipping a few and going out dredgeing after that!:) Heck the local news coverage would be worth it alone!! I wonder if theyed post bail for me if the CGor the water patrol:headbang: was to find me??
cry.gif

So something like...

:laughing7:

Fowled remember almost everything we see on TV was filmed on average at least 1 year ago, then take into account when they actually started filming and for how long... then editing and waiting for tv time slots.. etc. 2016 should be no more reality stuff as far as new shows go.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread