Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all !
Its the start of the new year and the city is evicting homeless camps and cleaning all the garbage up.There are about ten active camps and about twenty spots they rotate into. This happens twice a year. The camps are good for $5 to $10 bucks in clad , and I've found silver jewelry.
I like hunting the empty camps, there out of view from the public and no one complains about digging. The camps next to a freeway exit with a gas station that sells beer are clad factories !
Here's the finds from the first camp i hit today.
no1.jpg
$6.11 in clad , one wheat ,one Canadian penny, one really messed up quarter , two bling hearts and a North American Hunting Club collectors medallion.
no2.jpg
Off to the next camp !

Upvote 17

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting homeless camps?...
Well done sir!
:weee:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...homeless camps..we have a few roamers around here and a couple spots that the homeless congregate but no camps. But you bet if there were, I'd be on them like a chicken on a June bug! I can picture a couple drunks fighting over the camp hottie, Scabby Abby, and rolling around losing all their booze money. Way to think outside the box, bravobob! Ddf

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest worry would be needles & getting stuck by one.

You are a brave soul.

6BD620EB-0607-45FB-B22C-FC6CC7AA70F0.jpeg

Stay safe out there it’s a dangerous world metal detecting in your neck of the woods.
923107DF-5F78-4030-84D6-69B906E4B8C9.jpeg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go get em,, I remember what some of those camps looked like at one time back in NYC.
Good luck and stay safe.

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...homeless camps..we have a few roamers around here and a couple spots that the homeless congregate but no camps. But you bet if there were, I'd be on them like a chicken on a June bug! I can picture a couple drunks fighting over the camp hottie, Scabby Abby, and rolling around losing all their booze money. Way to think outside the box, bravobob! Ddf
Search In and around gaps in bushes where they congregate. They crawl in , pass out , roll around , drop stuff , wake up and stagger away.

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job cleaning out the clad! :occasion14:

Be safe and enjoy!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are any open areas you see homeless sleeping during the day like in parks under trees, I always find coin spills in those spots.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hip to that, the city does a pretty good job when they clean out the camps. I still ware gloves and use my digger as much as i can tho .

Be very careful of placing your safety in regular gloves. I have some friends who are into law Enforcement and they told me that they have special gloves to deal with cuts and punctures when they do searches of individuals after they cuff them similar to these.

http://www.turtleskin.com/law-enforcement-gear/gloves

870D42F5-C8A1-4B56-AEDF-AED799039C99.jpeg

Stay safe Friend. I heard a story last week about a family that rode the train in Portland and their young child started screaming after being stuck by one in her behind . The druggie put it between the two bench seats and the needle was sticking up.

God Bless Stay Safe!

9FAEC8BE-5549-4F04-9C4E-67DB20236608.jpeg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those North American Hunting Club Medallions ! I did not find mine though, I'm a Life Member of the club. Nice find. Be careful in those camps.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only would syringes be a concern, but homeless folks don’t exactly care where they go to the bathroom. It may be more than dirt you have to dig through to get those coins!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a sh*$y job but someone has to do it...Sorry couldn’t help it..

455AC467-88F6-4321-8767-2B61346B43B1.jpeg

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your nose will tell you where NOT to dig ! Surprisingly most of the camps aren't that bad. Most are next to a park with a bathroom and if the bathrooms closed they'll go behind/next to the building. I STOPPED detecting around the bathrooms !
The city does a good job when they come in and clean. They pick up all the garbage , pull all the weeds , trim the bushes and rake up the area. They open it up to discourage them from coming back..You wouldn't have know there was anyone living there.
Most of the homeless I've dealt with were real nice. Average Joe's down on their luck. Just wanting to know what i'm doing. There were two (so far) i had to show my Lesche because i wasn't sure about their intentions.
I DO'NT go into occupied camps , even if empty , it a safety/respect thing.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True story...on Sunday the very first thing I found was a needle at the high tide line. I avoid the areas where homeless sleep at the beach from now on.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the thread title "Homeless clad" and was going to volunteer to take it in. I'm that kind of guy. New knee next week so I'm going to be a "thread" hound for a few weeks. So if anyone has homeless clad I'll take it. We all all have to do our part. Good hunting guys. keep me entertained.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be carefull but i did find a steel 43 wheat by the freeway and alot of needles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread