Oldest Silver Caps a Great Birthday Weekend!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

Tomorrow is actually my birthday but I won't have time to go detecting so I lined up some spots for the last few days. Friday I found a silver quarter and silver ring so my weekend got off to a hot start.

Yesterday was a bust. I had 2 old houses lined up, one from 1908 the other from the 1920s. I didn't find so much as a wheat at either after hours of hunting. I did scrounge at 2 Wheaties at the end of my 4 hours of hunting after asking a neighbor if I could hit his sidewalk strips. Years are 36 and 57D.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515979071.519821.jpg

Today was a different story. My brother and I hit the site where he found a Merc last week. It's a very large public area that a lot of people don't know about though he did see another detectorist there. We're looking forward to hitting this place a lot because we know it has a lot of potential.

The first couple hours I gridded a site I thought was certain to have some oldies. I didn't even manage to pluck a wheat from there. I was cold, damp and pretty miserable so I moved to another area where I could take a snack break in the sun on a little hill.

I turned my detector back on after my reprieve and got a solid 75-76 at 3.5" a few feet from my snack break spot. That's generally the tell of a copper penny so I was hoping maybe it was at least a wheat. I was shocked when I popped the coin ball and saw "One Dime"!!

This area didn't become public until the 1930s. It was private dating back to the 1800s. I definitely didn't expect to find something like this though. A 1900 barber dime. Wow.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515979303.521849.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515979315.116578.jpg

I gridded that area hard and managed a couple wheats (didn't even know they were wheats until getting them home and cleaning them). They are really crusty so I don't have the dates.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515979360.819688.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515979386.172077.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515979395.821623.jpg

Overall it was a stellar weekend of hunting. Can't wait to get back to that site with my brother soon!

Happy hunting this week folks!
-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 20

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the sweet Barber and the other good finds, sounds like a great weekend for you

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy birthday and congrats on scoring that sweet Barber silver.

You have been picking up the pace lately. Nice.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt yet again! Those Barbers tend to wear quick. I wonder if being stuck to other coins helped this one because there's lots of meat on the bone there still, congratulations on your oldest silver.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool barber find! [emoji106]

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbers...always fun to pull those! Mr. Barber doesn't show his head too often, so it's always a nice thrill to toss one of those bad boys in the keeper pouch...great save! Ddf

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice hunt yet again! Those Barbers tend to wear quick. I wonder if being stuck to other coins helped this one because there's lots of meat on the bone there still, congratulations on your oldest silver.

Thank you. It was in the hole alone. I can't imagine it was in circulation for 30 years and still looks this fresh. It must've been lost young in life.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Barbers...always fun to pull those! Mr. Barber doesn't show his head too often, so it's always a nice thrill to toss one of those bad boys in the keeper pouch...great save! Ddf

That is true, especially around these parts. My brother and I each have 2 barbers a piece. Thank you and good luck!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you. It was in the hole alone. I can't imagine it was in circulation for 30 years and still looks this fresh. It must've been lost young in life.

Are you absolutely POSITIVE it was alone? Judging from the back and the front I would bet there was another coin nestled against the front for sure. I have dug many many coins that look like yours and since the front is so clean I would bet there was another coin was in the hole.

Nice Barber. Congrats. Something just seems a bit fishy!! I hope you can go back and rescan that hole!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Are you absolutely POSITIVE it was alone? Judging from the back and the front I would bet there was another coin nestled against the front for sure. I have dug many many coins that look like yours and since the front is so clean I would bet there was another coin was in the hole.

Nice Barber. Congrats. Something just seems a bit fishy!! I hope you can go back and rescan that hole!

The back was face up in the hole and I know this area is heavily fertilized so I bet that side got hit worst. I broke it out of the dirt clod and it was alone but I know where you're coming from. Looking at the difference of the front and the back in the photo I would think the same thing. I wish there was another though!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest: