Homemade camera stand (for macro shots)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some time,I mean space, after cleaning the garage. I built myself a camera stand from things I never throw away. Hey, you never know when you are going to need, want, something.

I used a porcelain over metal camping plate as the base. I drilled a half inch hole in the center and used a piece of all-thread eighteen inches long. I put a nut and then a washer through the plate hole and a nut and washer under the plate. I slid on a piece of 3/4 inch conduit, just under eighteen inches, then a washer and nut. Tightened to fit. The top is assembled from a type of conduit strap. At the center of the strap I drilled a 1/4 inch hole slid in a 1/4 x 20 bolt and nutted the outside. A 1/4 x 20 should fit just about any camera's tripod mounting hole.

The plate assembly was made using a sawed piece of 2 x 4 and the top plate from a vertically standing, three sided DVD tower. Two sheet rock screws and 1/4 inch washers were used to to secure the plate. A 3/8 x 1 3/4 u-bolt. This allows me to raise or lower the plate , at will, to a stationary camera. Using the cameras two-second timer allows plenty of time for stabilizing the entire contraption. I just hope will is out of the way.

I even shook the whole thing while a photo was in progress. It takes remarkably stable pictures even with motion. The plate is slightly bent. Once that is worked out it will not move at all.

The DVD tower has now become black half inch curtain rods:}

Attachments

• MacroStand.jpg
    MacroStand.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 251

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool TF! I expect some excellent pics from you from now on 8)

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Beep!!! I can always count on you for a reply. You're such a bud ;) ......from now on ???....Why I otta!!! jk.......I will be starting a new line of homemade do it yerselfers....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread