homemade electrolysis coin cleaner

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
Ok, I cut a 6 volt AC/DC powerpack and tried some electrolysis.
The powerpack was actually reading 9.55 volts, so I assume it is a little better.
Still looking for a junk 18 volt.

I do have a pyramid 15 volt power supply, rated at 15 amps
probably not smart to try and use that.

Is 12 volts 2 amps ok?
The car battery charger sounds ideal..

I tried it on a 1898 and a 1907 Barber dime.
It seemed to work ok, it cleaned up about 50 percent of the junk, but not all.
How long is it safe to do this?
I had it in for 20 minutes..
What coins are not safe for this method of cleaning?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I use 12v 2amp and 12v 6 amp and it works great with mine...If you clean a coin, you dont want to do it for very long at that power...But if you are cleaning relics and such, I recommend a circular saw blade as an anode and a either a 5 gallon bucket with about 1/4th water in it or a small square plastic flower box. These setups work great for me. Dont forget to use either salt or baking soda in the water. ;)

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I use a 12v 2amp set up and a square bread loaf dish. I use distilled water and salt with an older set of silverware that we replaced a few yrs back so I am good on an anode, :)

Like Sentinel said, you do not want to keep coins in it for very long but I have left larger relics in it for an hour or so.

One thing I also did to my set up was put in an inline fuse on the red wire for safety purposes only. If you are monitoring your process it should be good though, I am just into "more safety then not enough" approach with things.

Good luck and post some pics or your results

K

Kentucky Kache

{Sentinel} said:
Yes, I use 12v 2amp and 12v 6 amp and it works great with mine...If you clean a coin, you dont want to do it for very long at that power...But if you are cleaning relics and such, I recommend a circular saw blade as an anode and a either a 5 gallon bucket with about 1/4th water in it or a small square plastic flower box. These setups work great for me. Dont forget to use either salt or baking soda in the water. ;)
Which is best, salt or baking soda?

OP
OP
S

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thank you.

my small power pack setup seems ok, but I have the battery charger, it seems like a decent alternative.

Will use your advice, thanks.......

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
If you can put the turkey in the deep fry kettle for 15 minutes and
it is done I figure why not put it in the ceramic kiln for 10 minute
at 1900 degrees. This would beat waiting all day for dinner. So I
am off with the thought of trying the 50 amp. boost on my
charger to see how it will clean.

Joe

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Use salt, it seems to work the best. Leave the thing hooked up until the water turns black If you think the coin has value to it don't clean it...
Good luck and post some pic's when your done.

Desertfox

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
can anyone post directions or a link to making one of these,i'd like to try and use one of these as well for cleaning my finds.

I know nothing about electrolysis,solvents,length of time needed to clean items..basically any and all info would be great.

thanks
~Shawn~

OP
OP
S

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
It is rather simple.

Ac/Dc power pack.

9/12/18 volt, I assume the 18 is ideal.

Cut the end of the wire, and solder alligator clips to the leads.

Glass of water. add some salt, and lemon juice (optional)
Attached possitive lead to a stainless steel spoon, put spoon in glass of water.

Attach negative lead to coin.
hang the coin in the water NOT touching the Spoon.
It will instantly start bubbling and releasing the junk stuck to the coin.
That is all I know, and have done so far with my homemade.

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
Don't go above 500MA. Low power for longer baths is the way to go, not more power for shorter baths.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good setup if all you are going to be cleaning is coins. It is a very small petite setup. But if you want to clean Civil War relics such as cannon balls, cannon ball shrapnel, iron relics etc etc I would recommend a heavier setup. In fact, I have come up with my setup over many years of trial and perfecting of different setups. I believe that I have the BEST setup that a person can get for doing small to large objects. Again though, the setup on the above linke will work perfect if only doing coins. ;)

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I built the set up from the link i posted above,wary at first knowing my respect for electricity(a bit hesitant).But i have to say I've been using it since and it really works well,the steps are straight forward and made it simple for even me to build.Below are 2 before and after electrolysis pics of a quarter that i just cleaned five minutes ago,i suggest if you are interested in building one for the very first time read every page before making it so you have an idea of how it will all go together.The last pic is my setup with the stand on the right,it helps what your cleaning hang freely.
It will also clean small charms,jewelry and so on
~Shawn~ HH

Attachments

• dirty clad.JPG
    dirty clad.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 5min.electrolysis.JPG
    5min.electrolysis.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,587
  • Electrolysis setup.JPG
    Electrolysis setup.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,311