Homesteading

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got an old Bounty Hunter 840 that was bought by me in 1980. I use it more than the Tracker II, IV, and the Lone Star. I don't really know how much the coins I've found are worth, but I used to count the Wheaties as 3 cents each, and the silver at 10:1. In about 1983 or 84, I had more than enough to cover what I paid for the machine. Though I'm not able to use it much, if any, now; I will use it if I get a chance instead of the others. If I get back to MDing a lot, I'll use all of them occasionally, but still am partial to the old 840.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I am still using my Bounty Hunter big bud pro, although not exclusively. In trashy areas such as ball parks and kiddie parks, I have found that I can pull goodies from amongst the trash where others have given up, and with the eliminator for ground targets, I can tune out surface trash to find the goodies underneath. Most modern trash is within the top 4 inches anyway. When I need a deeper detector I use my discovery. It can detect a dime at a foot easily, in moderately mineralized soils. It also is hot on gold items buried deep. Good luck. rockhound

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well guys, I lost two chickens this week to a predator. So something around here has to happen... not sure what quite yet.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the predator leave the bodies or carry them off? Any clues as to what it was?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Left the bodies, no heads, tail end eaten out. Saw a strange cat(not ours) this morning.

Butt eaten out? Oooooooo...... Head missing..... That's mutilation!

Probably an alien.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they in the coop or outside when killed? I had rats getting in the coop years ago. I fixed the holes and put muskrat traps outside at night next to old holes and caught rats for several days. Chopped up the rats with machete and fed them to the chickens. Chickens LOVE fresh meat and meat makes the eggs bright orange. Electric fence would have been easier

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Current suspect list is: strange cat, opossum, raccoon.

You can take the Opossum and Raccoon off your list, they don't kill to eat. Opossum will eat any thing that is already dead, Raccoon are more vegetarian but they will break any kind of egg for the fun of it. I have seen where Mink or Weasel will do a job like that. Tie your dogs out by the chicken coop at nite if they are trained to not kill chickens.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've a yellow jacket nest down near my garden outside the fence. I've been watching it for a couple weeks deciding whether or not to take it out. I think yellow jackets are predators and eat other insects - so they may be protecting my garden a little bit.

A couple days ago, I went out to the garden and that nest had been hit, clawed up pretty deep. I thought it might be a racoon, but don't know. Still had them yellow jackets flying in and out. I think now I should take the nest the rest of the way out myself.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Skunks love yellow jackets and don't seem to be bothered by them.

That sounds right, a couple times I've smelt faint skunk flatulence around here.

Beginning that delicious 4 litre flush in 5 minutes :(

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet your are glad of indoor plumbing.

Danged thing is 8 0z every 10 minutes until the 4 liters are gone. There will come a time when I won't be on-line tonight

Errands to run you know......

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez, I lost 7 lbs. I am no long full of it!

Now I will go have my sanctity violated :(

Is this "Homesteading" or what?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Say hello again to modesty out the window.
Relax ... you may feel some slight pressure.

:laughing7:

Homesteading vs squatters.
Easily confused when ya been squatting to a different definition.... but the homestead needs occasional checks for squatters before they can establish a claim.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The nurse wasn't pretty, and the doctor was an arsehole. But then that was his business.

Tomorrow will be another day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread