Honda Prius costs drivers more than they let on..........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As hybrid models such as the original Toyota Prius and Honda Insight get older, consumers are beginning to wonder how much it will cost them if the battery eventually fails. It's a reasonable concern as those batteries can be quite expensive to replace. According to an article on Newsweek, though, that once astronomical price is going down. Honda, for example, will be lowering the cost for its hybrid batteries on June 1 from $3,400 to $1,968 for the Insight. The Accord hybrid could still be as much as $2,440. Similarly, Toyota's Prius battery is down to $3,000 from $5,500.

This is from one of the Newsweek reports.

It takes a few years to recope the extra cost for the car itself, plus the insurance is lots higher. On top of that it looks like heck.....

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
It's NOT the money Sandman...

Those nice people are doing their part, like algore, to save the planet.

I think that's good.

Of course, they could just stay home and save even more.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm all for going green... save the baby whales and all that. I do like alternative energy sources. I myself use a wind generator and solar panels. I also recycle when I can. I don't understand the concept of electric cars.

The car has 'lower' emissions, okay, I get that. But where does the electricity come from? Which coal/oil burning emission emitting plant is generating the electricity to recharge the car with? Where does the nuclear waste go to? Does this not turn out to be about the same carbon footprint for miles traveled?

Now if the batteries of the car were recharged via a wind generator or solar panels, then that would be a different story, but I don't think that is happening.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recharging a car by wind or solar power is the way to go as these never run out. At least when the sun burns out, I won't be here............

Wind power is starting to get a bad rep because the tree huggers are now saying the huge fan blades are going to kill a lot of birds. There is such a thing as vertical wind turbines that look like cylinders. They can even be placed closer together.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Sandman said:
Recharging a car by wind or solar power is the way to go as these never run out.  At least when the sun burns out, I won't be here............

Wind power is starting to get a bad rep because the tree huggers are now saying the huge fan blades are going to kill a lot of birds.  There is such a thing as vertical wind turbines that look like cylinders.  They can even be placed closer together.

Oh my GAWD!!!  LMFAO!  There is NO way anyone thinks these blades are killing birds!  Who are these idiots?  Birds can fly together with thousands of other birds and not bump into each other, who thinks they will fly into blades?  If that were the case ZILLIONS of birds would be dead from hitting vehicles and buildings. I'm sure there are a handfull of retarded birds that might get killed by flying into something that big... but dang!

Envionmentalits will not be happy unless we are all living in caves and eating ... I dunno... air,  I guess.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
What do these folks live in ,ride in,eat? Do they own guns/have security to keep them safe from 'us'?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
What do these folks live in ,ride in,eat? Do they own guns/have security to keep them safe from 'us'?

What does this have to do with anything on this post?

Anyhow...Jim is right--I'd take a bucket of dead birds in exchange for a renewable energy source. Whoever is complaining about a dead friggin bird is totally missing the bigger picture...

-Buckles

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I am excited about the possibility of other resources becoming available on a useable scale.

I am also excited that one day I can own a 1969 Dodge Superbee that guzzles mucho petrol and leaves huge belching clouds of smoke bellowing from my duel mufflers. :thumbsup:

I like oil...

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ha! I was running with an orange Super Bee, in traffic, yesterday morning...

Very nice, clean car, and the engine sounded crisp and responsive.

Traffic pattern cleared out a bit as we negotiated a couple signals... he got a clear spot and was... gone! ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
rmptr said:
Ha! I was running with an orange Super Bee, in traffic, yesterday morning...

Very nice, clean car, and the engine sounded crisp and responsive.

Traffic pattern cleared out a bit as we negotiated a couple signals... he got a clear spot and was... gone! ;D

Curses!!!!

LOL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
tree huggers are now saying the huge fan blades are going to kill a lot of birds.

That is funny. The sad part is that the people who make such statements are permitted to breed. LMAO :o ;D :o

Ray S

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Okay - I was WAY wrong! Birds are flying into stuff all the time! LMFAO :tard:

http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0509-wind.html

"Last week's report by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (NAS) on the environmental impact of wind farms warned that turbines may kill up to 40,000 birds per year, a toll that makes some question the clean energy source is worth the trouble.

Writing in the current issue of Nature, Emma Marris and Daemon Fairless find that while 40,000 bird deaths may seem high, it's all relative. Domestic cats kill "hundreds of millions" of birds per year.

Here is a 2003 study...

130 - 174 million birds killed annually from power/transmission lines
60 - 80 million from automobile collisions
100 million - 1 billion from buildings and structures
67 million to agricultural pesticides
39 million by cats - in Wisconsin alone!

There are other studies on the impacts of jet engines, smoke stacks, bridges, and any number of other human structures and activities that threaten birds on a daily basis. Together, human infrastructure and industrial activities are responsible for one to four million bird deaths per day!

http://www.awea.org/faq/sagrillo/swbirds.html

I digress - this has nothing to do with the Prius! Maybe the next prius can run on bird carcases! LOL

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Montana Jim said:
Okay - I was WAY wrong! Birds are flying into stuff all the time! LMFAO :tard:

http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0509-wind.html

"Last week's report by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (NAS) on the environmental impact of wind farms warned that turbines may kill up to 40,000 birds per year, a toll that makes some question the clean energy source is worth the trouble.

Writing in the current issue of Nature, Emma Marris and Daemon Fairless find that while 40,000 bird deaths may seem high, it's all relative. Domestic cats kill "hundreds of millions" of birds per year.

Here is a 2003 study...

130 - 174 million birds killed annually from power/transmission lines
60 - 80 million from automobile collisions
100 million - 1 billion from buildings and structures
67 million to agricultural pesticides
39 million by cats - in Wisconsin alone!

There are other studies on the impacts of jet engines, smoke stacks, bridges, and any number of other human structures and activities that threaten birds on a daily basis. Together, human infrastructure and industrial activities are responsible for one to four million bird deaths per day!

http://www.awea.org/faq/sagrillo/swbirds.html

I digress - this has nothing to do with the Prius! Maybe the next prius can run on bird carcases! LOL

Hey getting off topic can be interesting. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually the biggest threat to birds is glass.

Klem, a professor of biology at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Penn. estimates that 100 billion birds are killed every year by striking glass.

The threat to birds is greater than those of pesticides, cats and wind turbines combined, he said.

"At a low estimate, the number of birds killed by collisions with glass every year is like having 33 Exxon Valdez disasters," Klem said.

"Birds simply don't see glass," he explained. "They are deceived by tree reflections on windows, or when they can see through it, they mistakenly think the glass isn't there." "It's going to take public awareness and market pressure to stop this," he said.

Residents can reduce the number of birds killed by moving their birdfeeders to within 1 meter of windows, covering windows with screens or decals or lining windows with strips of mylar or cloth.

Klem also suggested to reduce bird deaths by cat predators by employing an outside cat holding device.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,166710.0.html

George

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Well first I will say that I do not drive a Prius to help the environment.
I drive it to save money on gas, because I like the way it looks and its computer systems are cool too.
I am getting 50-55 MPG and when the new lithium battery Prius comes out (if it ever comes out :-\ )
I plan on getting one of them.
As for the battery dying, I will let you know if anything happens to mine, but I have just not heard of any wearing out yet.

If you don't like the car, don't drive it. Simple as that.

HH,
Donny

S

someotherdude

My in town transportation is green, it is even fueled green, in fact it's so green it produces methane for my other energy needs as well as gets me where I'm going in style ! ;D

Els20Aug05.jpg

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
i think wind mills are great! we have a bunch of them and there are no piles under them. people always say stupid stuff to stop progress. i like to watch them. they are peaceful. the birds are smarter than the people making such statements.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Read and weep….It’s the Judges…Art

Results 1 - 10 of about 807,000 for Wind generators lawsuits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread