Hoping someone can help me with a question on nitric acid volume

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a supplier which can order my either an 8 gallon carboy for $170 or six 7lb. bottles for $250. Problem is I do not know the volume of a 7 lb acid bottle and cannot find that information on the internet. Can anyone tell me which is the better deal? I really like the idea of smaller , more manageable bottles as apposed to slopping around some huge 8 gallon jug or having to pour it into smaller bottles for practical use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't seam to find a delete option for this post, but I found my answer in a conversion table. A half gallon of nitric is about 6.7 lbs. So the 8 gallons is a much better deal.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And you've also ordered your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)?
Don't forget to store in a secondary containment in case of spills or broken bottles.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
8 gallons of Nitric can cause all kinds of chaos when spilled over the typical debris found on a garage floor. I hope you have a plan in place for the worst case scenario. :thumbsup:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And expect to make someone's watch list!

There's a reason I make my own when needed!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't seam to find a delete option for this post, but I found my answer in a conversion table. A half gallon of nitric is about 6.7 lbs. So the 8 gallons is a much better deal.

Cheaper yes, but you can't pour from an 8 gallon carboy into a 500ml beaker as easily as you can a liter bottle. If I were going to screw with it, I'd pay extra for the added safety of smaller containers. If you are doing it in five gallon buckets, maybe you need a carboy.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An 8 gallon carboy of nitric, that's nightmare inducing. I occasionally use hydroflouric for work and have a liter or so safely tucked away and that gives me nightmares. :safety-goggles:

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a supplier which can order my either an 8 gallon carboy for $170 or six 7lb. bottles for $250. Problem is I do not know the volume of a 7 lb acid bottle and cannot find that information on the internet. Can anyone tell me which is the better deal? I really like the idea of smaller , more manageable bottles as apposed to slopping around some huge 8 gallon jug or having to pour it into smaller bottles for practical use.

Are both conc. nitric? It makes a difference in how much a gallon weighs. Conc nitric is almost exactly 50% more dense (heavier) than water. I usually pour it from 5 L bottles into smaller containers to work with--in a hood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread