🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please read my update in reply #66. Hallelujah! :headbang: :hello2:

Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience getting a lower pole assembly un-stuck from the upper pole assembly? I have a Fisher 1266-XB (breakdown model), and when I packed it in its case, I snugged the lower pole up into the middle pole (as is supposed to be done in order to pack it up). It is stuck--and I mean, unbelievably stuck.

The last time I used the detector was in a wet pasture, with some tall grass, and I neglected to wipe the lower pole before I pushed it up inside the middle part. I imagine that some grass seed or other muck worked its way in between the two fiberglass poles.

What I have tried:

whacking the pole on the end with a hammer to dislodge it.

putting the lower pole into a vise and pulling on the middle pole

heating the middle pole (aluminum one) with a blow torch then trying to pull the lower pole (fiberglass) out

squirting WD-40 into the adjustment holes, as well as the top and bottom of the middle pole at the plastic bolts

soaking the poles in Hot soapy water and trying to pull them apart again.

freezing both overnight, then heating the middle pole with a hair dryer and trying to pull the lower pole out.

I am thinking at this point I might have to try and find someone that has a middle and lower pole assembly for sale. Does anyone know if Fisher still keeps parts for these detectors in stock?

Any ideas on how to get 'em freed up?

Thanks in advance,

Buckles

Upvote 0

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Re: Horrible Problem--Help Needed!

You might try putting it the freezer overnight where you keep your tic collection...LOL...

Seriously, freeze it overnight, then remove it and hit the outter shaft with a heat gun/hair dryer etc. in an attempt to quickly expand the outter shaft, all the while having a friend try to counter rotate the shafts and pull them apart. Basically trying to shrink the whole thing, then expand the outter. If debris did get wedged in it might be a bugger to separate. To get a good grip, wrap a leather belt around each shaft where they don't overlap...

If you can make sense of that gobbly gook it might work...good luck.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EdleBrock said:
You might try putting it the freezer overnight where you keep your tic collection...LOL...

Seriously, freeze it overnight, then remove it and hit the outter shaft with a heat gun/hair dryer etc. in an attempt to quickly expand the outter shaft, all the while having a friend try to counter rotate the shafts and pull them apart. Basically trying to shrink the whole thing, then expand the outter. If debris did get wedged in it might be a bugger to separate. To get a good grip, wrap a leather belt around each shaft where they don't overlap...

If you can make sense of that gobbly gook it might work...good luck.

I will try that. Freezer then hair dryer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

once the pegs are depressed --lock one end in a vice--- then twist it back and forth in oppisite directions (left /right) till you get some slack then keep on till it breaks free :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
once the pegs are depressed --lock one end in a vice--- then twist it back and forth in oppisite directions (left /right) till you get some slack then keep on till it breaks free :icon_thumright:

I have tried that. It doesn't budge one bit, even with twisting while in a vise. In fact, the lower pole torques a little With the middle pole. It is THAT stuck in there. :(

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

man that is STUCK

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Should have bought a Whites. :laughing9:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KEEP US POSTED

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kindafoundabuckle said:
Sell it to a midget and buy a Whites. Im always here to help!

KFB

So you wanna trade, then?

Cass

Feb 16, 2005

I would have to agree with EdleBrock's idea of the heat and cold theory. Only improvement on it I would suggest would be that if there is any way you can get any crushed ice into the center shaft, so to keep it cold while you applied the heat gun /dryer to the outside shaft, that it might help. Better yet if you could actually get water in it and freeze it before the heat treatment. That may not be possible though.The transfer of heat from one tube to the other will be need to be slowed down as much as possible in order for the process to be effective,and with the two tubes so closely fit, heat will hit the inner shaft really fast. Maybe some soft pack/freezer packs wrapped around the tube would help. You have a real tough one on your hands there and any and all manner of contortions/contraptions may be attempted in order to solve the problem. Good Luck and HH. Cass

Cass

Feb 16, 2005

On second thought Buckles, it may not be a good idea to freeze any water in it if you can. The water/ice would expand and split the shaft and that would not do. Just stick with the crushed ice if you can get any in it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cass said:
I would have to agree with EdleBrock's idea of the heat and cold theory. Only improvement on it I would suggest would be that if there is any way you can get any crushed ice into the center shaft, so to keep it cold while you applied the heat gun /dryer to the outside shaft, that it might help. Better yet if you could actually get water in it and freeze it before the heat treatment. That may not be possible though.The transfer of heat from one tube to the other will be need to be slowed down as much as possible in order for the process to be effective,and with the two tubes so closely fit, heat will hit the inner shaft really fast. Maybe some soft pack/freezer packs wrapped around the tube would help. You have a real tough one on your hands there and any and all manner of contortions/contraptions may be attempted in order to solve the problem. Good Luck and HH. Cass

I had a CZ stuck like that, kept soaking it with WD-40 but it didn't come apart until about three days after I had given up. :dontknow:

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California

Get a pint of real "penetrating oil." It won't leave a solid residue like WD-40 does (it was outlawed for aircraft maintenance for this reason---it would clog things up after it dried, so it's not totally good for lock tumblers, either).

After putting the penetrating oil in it, continued taps with a small hammer to set up vibrations will help the oil penetrate and loosen any crud stuck in there too. This is not to knock it free, but just for the vibration effect only. Kind of like ultrasonic cleaners. Be careful not to mushroom the metal where you are tapping it, which is hard to avoid, especially with soft metals like aluminum. Any way of setting up a small vibration, like attaching a buzzer or something, would help.

Note the post by Cass. After three days the WD-40 finally penetrated enough. Vibrating might speed that up some.

I think it will come apart eventually, somehow.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

:sign13:----put in clamp vertically --spray WD 40 in the holes in the upper shaft (by doing it vertically gravity and time are your freinds :wink:)-- then duct tape a "vibrating type tool" to lower shaft ***run the tool non stop to make the lower shaft "viberate" within the upper shaft which hopefully will break up the "binding" effect thus allowing the WD 40 to get in there and loosen it up so it will come apart . :headbang:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tried the freezing and heating method as described above. No luck. The pieces wouldn't budge.

I am now trying Liquid Wrench penetrating oil sprayed into the adjustment holes, and around the top. I left the piece vertical hoping to speed up the process, but I have no way to vibrate the pieces. I have tapped on them lightly from time to time.

If I EVER get this thing apart I think I will add some graphite lubricant to the lower pole.

I will keep applying the penetrating oil and tapping.

Thank you all for your help and ideas so far.

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE

Just a heads up. WD40 is aweful for anything but its intended purpose (water displacement). WD-40 stays liquid briefly then turns into a gummy powder. It is great for getting hand grips onto handlebars. If you do this one time you will understand. You will never get the grips off once they are on. Penetrating oil is a whole different animal.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Right idea wrong product. WD40 is a solvent, you want a lubricant. Use a dry silicon spray. It goes in as a liquid and dries as a lubricant between the shafts. I have used it to free tripod legs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread