Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out in Kansas a couple of weeks ago on a business trip with my brother, we had time to go to Peabody which has an old horse racetrack from around 1880, which is now a park & also contains a football field. I only found new coins but my brother hit one hole that had a 1877 cc dime in excellent condition, a 1883 in AU50-MS60 (wow, it's a real beauty!), and a couple of Indian head pennies, all at around 4" in depth. If you live close enough to hunt this location, and have a good deepseeking machine, I would certainly advise it! Just work it slow & dig any questionable signals, I'm sure there has to be some gold coins & rings here for the amount of pulltabs I dug - around 200. I enjoyed hunting in your state, and hope to return. Good luck hunting!

Larry KS

Mar 20, 2003
I hunted that park HARD years ago. The oldest coin I've ever found in Kansas came from here....an 1827 dime in fine condition. Made out like a bandit on the North and West sides of the track but didn't find squat on the other two sides. Did find some Barber silver and a few seated coins out in the center of the track. At that time, I was hunting with an Arado detector. This is an English machine with fantastic depth for the time. Unfortunately, it didn't have a discriminate mode, just a meter that showed either ferrous or non-ferrous. It was a real handfull to use. Trash really killed the machine because it signaled on everything but if you took your time and watched the meter, that sucker would really go deep. A lot of the coins were found beneath the 8 inch level.

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
The horse racetrack in Peabody? My grandparent lived there for many years while my mom was younger age, lived there. I have no idea about horse racetrack. I knew that town is many history buildings and place. In 1940's, somewhere had the camp POW for the German soldiers and my grandfather hired about four or five guys to work on the farm field. My grandma and mom feed them the lunch, then US soldiers bring them back to the POW camp daily. I asked my mom where is the POW camp at? She have no idea where, because she was under ten years old.

Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread