Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way that thing must have broken up on entering the atmosphere and from the impact surely there could be pieces for miles? Monty

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
That should be around or close to Stan's area Monty. Maybe we could get together and find some of it.

~Kansas~

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
Greensburg is about 60 miles west of me. The town is known for the GIANT hand dug well it has. It also has meteorites on display. Researchers have also found some down around Hardtner, Ks. which is closer the the Oklahoma line. HH, Eric

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Thanks Eric. I have been to the Big Well a long long time ago when I was about 8 or 9.
Sounds like there a meteorites to be found out there.

~Kansas~

M

Mike B.

I live in Dodge City. I spent some of my younger years in Haviland. I personally know the land owners where some of the Meteorites were found. I really doubt that my MD would go deep enough to pick up a signal. It may, have never tried it. I have a Whites XLT Spectrum.

Mike B.

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Hi Mike.... thats the same machine I use. I was thinking there might be some pieces close to or on the top. Maybe even washed out in creeks and ravines.

~Kansas~

M

Mike B.

Kansas,

You may be right about the smaller pieces. One of these days I'll go visit my mom, who lives in Haviland, and take my detector and look up some friends who own the property. I know them well and should be no problem getting permission. Unless they have leased the land to someone with a stipulation that no one else can go hunting on the land.

Nice to meet you Kansas!

Mike B.

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Mike... it was great to meet you also.
We are getting several members from Kansas.
If you ever need a partner to hunt meteorites with give me a shout.

~Kansas~

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the area around the Big Hand Dug Well,....well,....quite well! ;D I spent a lot of time up there and areas west of there in past years pheasant hunting. Use to meet up with the DA out of Coldwater and go with him. It's been so long ago that I don't recall his name, but he was deadly with a shotgun even though he only had one arm! Monty

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,
I'm in McPherson county and I've been watching Steve Arnolds adventures. As soon as I saw the story on the big one he found, I've wanted to know how he did it. One news story showed a pic of his detector and another said it was a PI. That led me here and to other detecting forums. Since I'm a geek, I've got to build one. I did some preliminary work during the hot hot summer and as soon as I get done cutting firewood, I'm back on it. Hopefully by spring I can have something working.

Here are a couple of articles..in case you haven't seen them.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2006-05-10-meteorites-kansas_x.htm
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2006/February/Meteorite_People.htm

There is a small museum in McPherson that has Ninenger's collection. The day I was there, they were rebuilding the new display, so I only saw a few. The curator is a metoerite hunter too.

c0insh00ter

Jan 21, 2007
N.E Kansas
Hi fellow kansasan's . Its nice to know im not the only one hunting the iron rock to lol. If its not to much trouble would you all keep me informed on your space rock finds. After all were all cousin to the rock! Thanks Ed

chellyp

Mar 30, 2005
Northwest Oklahoma
I'm not in Kansas, but just south of Hardtner a few miles. I'm a newbie to md'ing, but would love to get together with someone for an adventure!! And if seeing the hand dug well is a pre-requisit, I've been there too! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread