Horseshoe ages

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
I know some of these shoes are newer and some are mule shoes. A few I found at the 1870 church area, union Calvary passed there. How would you be able to tell if they were war horse related or just an old work horse? Some of these are still in different cleaning stages. I do them when I can’t hunt. Been raining hard for two days lol .

Attachments

• 49FFFBE6-0C2E-4168-B795-651648DE2F1B.jpeg
    49FFFBE6-0C2E-4168-B795-651648DE2F1B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 1915FA08-74DF-41EA-90F5-1C270595A5D7.jpeg
    1915FA08-74DF-41EA-90F5-1C270595A5D7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have rain!!! I'm having a extremely difficult time getting my rain barrels full. Send some rain my way. Thank you.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a link to a 2018 thread on the topic.
I refer to the first image shown (the one taken from a book) all the time when i find horseshoes.

I don't think that thread addresses your war-horse question; hopefully someone with that knowledge will comment.
I think your horseshoes look contemporary with the church (later part of 1800s).

- Brian

PS - if you're curious I included a picture of how I chose to display a few shoes I found and cleaned up.

tn_horse_shoes.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Here's a link to a 2018 thread on the topic.
I refer to the first image shown (the one taken from a book) all the time when i find horseshoes.

I don't think that thread addresses your war-horse question; hopefully someone with that knowledge will comment.
I think your horseshoes look contemporary with the church (later part of 1800s).

- Brian

PS - if you're curious I included a picture of how I chose to display a few shoes I found and cleaned up.

View attachment 2078100

View attachment 2078101
What do you put on them so they don’t start to re-rust?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nathan, to prepare and present my horseshoes (and I did a separate display with axe heads), here were the steps:
  1. I used a wire wheel grinder to get the dirt and rust off. With the axe heads I used a grinder to put a shiny edge/blade on the axe heads (but these are decorative only; they're too pitted and fragile to actually re-mount on shafts and use as axes)
  2. I put the iron objects in the oven at 250 degrees for about 12 hours (the theory being that any remaining moisture would evaporate off)
  3. I rubbed them with 3-in-1 oil.
  4. I sprayed them with a matte varnish. I probably applied 4 or 5 coats.
This was all done about 3 months ago, and the horseshoes and axe heads still look good. I hope they'll hold up over time, but....who knows.

- Brian

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Nathan, to prepare and present my horseshoes (and I did a separate display with axe heads), here were the steps:
  1. I used a wire wheel grinder to get the dirt and rust off. With the axe heads I used a grinder to put a shiny edge/blade on the axe heads (but these are decorative only; they're too pitted and fragile to actually re-mount on shafts and use as axes)
  2. I put the iron objects in the oven at 250 degrees for about 12 hours (the theory being that any remaining moisture would evaporate off)
  3. I rubbed them with 3-in-1 oil.
  4. I sprayed them with a matte varnish. I probably applied 4 or 5 coats.
This was all done about 3 months ago, and the horseshoes and axe heads still look good. I hope they'll hold up over time, but....who knows.

- Brian
Thanks for
The tip, I have everything except the oil

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twelve hours in the oven is over kill. I clean my iron with electrolysis. I dry the iron with a propane torch, when cool, I coat with lacquer. Relics I did 50 years ago with this method are still good to this day.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The quick and dirty way to preserve axe heads and horseshoes.:
I use a tool to chip off the worst rust. Then use a bunch wire wheel. Don’t Ned to remove every bit. Then a heavy coat of modge podge. They look great and stay preserved.

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
I use a tool to chip off the worst rust. Then use a bunch wire wheel. Don’t Ned to remove every bit. Then a heavy coat of modge podge. They look great and stay preserved.
It’s hard to get it completely clean , thanks

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Mod Podge suggestion and will have to try it - thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread