Spanish coins

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about a Spanish coin. A friend of mine lives in Glasgow, Missouri. He and his dad were removing an old cedar tree in his yard. When they dug up the stump and roots they found a large silver coin. If I remember correctly he told me it was about 3” in diameter. He did some research on it and said it was a “Spanish galleon(sp?)?” I’ve never heard of anything like that. Any ideas about it?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IMO, there is no such thing as a three- inch diameter Spanish 'galleon' coin.
As LandSeig requested, a pic should quickly get you a response.
Don....
PS: The description sounds like a souvenoir replica may be what is referred to.

OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does he have pics?
No, not that I know of and he didn’t show it to me either. He just told me about it. He just said that it was silver and about 3” in diameter

OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, there is no such thing as a three- inch diameter Spanish 'galleon' coin.
As LandSeig requested, a pic should quickly get you a response.
Don....
PS: The description sounds like a souvenoir replica may be what is referred to.
Yeah, he wasn’t known for telling the truth sometimes. I just wondered if anyone ever heard of such a coin. I know his neighbors found a lot of coins in the area. Glasgow is right on the Missouri River and back in the 1800’s it was used for barge traffic. A lot of people passed through that town.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a youngster I had a big Indian head penny that was 3 inches across. They were for use as a paperweight or a coaster. Here are just a few examples I came across.
Screenshot_20230408_142359_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230408_142631_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_142304_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_142304_Chrome.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he say he was told the coin came from a Spanish galleon OR was the image on the coin a Spanish galleon.?
Don...
I think he said it came from a Spanish ship called a galleon.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not completely impossible, Spanish coins are not super uncommon and were used as currency until the 1850s. Glasgow from the looks of it is on the Missouri River, so a lot of traffic. Not really sure about the 3” part, an 8 reale is around 1.5” or so I guess. Not sure if that is the largest coin, others on here would know exact sizes. All comes down to a guess without actually seeing it though.

OP
OP
Cherokee65

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not completely impossible, Spanish coins are not super uncommon and were used as currency until the 1850s. Glasgow from the looks of it is on the Missouri River, so a lot of traffic. Not really sure about the 3” part, an 8 reale is around 1.5” or so I guess. Not sure if that is the largest coin, others on here would know exact sizes. All comes down to a guess without actually seeing it though.
My thinking at the time was that a 3” coin would be a pain to carry around just because of its size. Over the years I’ve thought that he might have exaggerated the size. The largest coin I’ve ever seen is a silver dollar. To me those would be a pain to carry around rather that paper bills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread