🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to a tot lot that I have hunted before but I have never hunted the playground area. I only had about an hour to hunt as I had to be back to do things with the wife today. I only hunted the playground area which was loose gravel instead of wood chips. I found 29 coins, 2 pieces of jewelry, a zipper pull, a jeans button or snap and a rusty razor blade. Not bad for an hour hunt. When I returned to my car a sheriff's car was behind mine. He was filling out paperwork and asked if I had any luck. I showed him my finds and said he has seen others hunting there as well but was always curious if they found anything. He then told me about a Union Civil War camp that was nearby. He said it was heavily grown over with weeds, trees and vegetation. He told me that several years ago before the overgrowth got too bad they use to find a lot of buckles and other things. He then told me of another site that was a battle and he found things there in the field when he was a child about 50 years ago. This was my second civil war referal in two weeks. I am going to be checking these places out later this year when it is cooler and the ticks are not so bad.

Attachments

• Dsc_0001.jpg
    Dsc_0001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 682
  • Dsc_0002.jpg
    Dsc_0002.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 685
  • Dsc_0001.jpg
    Dsc_0001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 682
  • Dsc_0002.jpg
    Dsc_0002.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 687
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a good hunt......you got a good tip......now, tell us PLEASE :help: What was the sheriff writing? :icon_scratch:
(We are waiting.) :wink:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
hikeinmts said:
You had a good hunt......you got a good tip......now, tell us PLEASE :help: What was the sheriff writing? :icon_scratch:
(We are waiting.) :wink:

I'm curious as well :icon_scratch:.

And.....

treasurehound said:
I went to a tot lot that I have hunted before but I have never hunted the playground area.

Isn't a tot lot a playground? LOL.....Nice finds though.....Hope your referrals lead to great treasures! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If you find anything at the 2 locations he told you of, make sure to thank him. Never hurts to be on the "good side of the law"! That's cool. I was sure you were going to say he was writing a report of you diggin in the park! Whew!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
awesome

so folks have all the luck :tongue3:

congrats on the new sites

looking forward to seeing the finds from them

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would say the "best find of the day " was that freindly cop who was willing to share info --often to get tip offs on the locations of a CW era camp site and battle area requires marrying into the family . ;D

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update. I as was writting the post my wife was standing over me telling me it was time to go so here is an update. The sheriff was filling out his paperwork for the end of his shift. He was just using the park as a place to stop and get caught up. I love to visit with law enforecment when ever I am out. It is good to make your appearance known. I also used to work for the Sheriff's Dept when I lived in another state so I have the upmost respect for them. He was very nice about 55 yrs old. I told him that most of us MDers try to return items like class rings and such and that we fill our holes as not to damage the area we are in. I had a very good visit with him and I really appreciated him telling me about the civil war sites. If I find anything at the sites I am going to send him a card and a picture of what I found. I did not get his name but I did get his DSN (badge ID) so I can find him later.
Any time I am out and strangers approach asking questions I answer them and then I ask them questions about the area or other places they might think of to go. This can save me a lot of time on the internet if I can find someone that can tell me some history of an area. Especially if they are elderly and grew up in the area.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah lonely old folks hang out at the park -- what a wealth of info they often have trapped in their noggins --- often their just just sitting there,waiting for someone to pass it on to --- a bit of time spent gabbing with them can really payoff big time in some cases. :icon_thumright:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grab an extra detector, find that cop and get him to go with you. Might make the best hunting partner you ever have. And,,,,can probably get you onto places otherwise verbotten. Play smart and get a head! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread