House With No Civil War History.......OOPS!!!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Civilman and I went to a house that I did some work at.
The house is dated 1920. We asked the 92 year old homeowner
if we could detect. She said,"What the hell am I gonna do with
that suff. Keep whatever you find." So we were off.
We started finding old coins, '20's and '30's right away.
Then all of a sudden I found three Civil War bullets. That was
VERY unexpected because none of the maps we have show any
troop movement in that area.
The finds for the day were pretty impressive by my standards.

15 wheaties
1954 rosie
1930 standing liberty quarter
silver button
3 lipstick tubes
1930's "Manoil" coupe
pewter butter knife (broke)
12" latle marked "1840 Roger Bros"
5 Civil War bullets
flat button with shank
a few various jewelry items
Junior Sheriff badge

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5622.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

Upvote 0

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some good finds, thats cool you got some bullets out of the yard sometimes it dosent take research just luck.HH!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know. :icon_scratch: I hunted a site last week and CW finds were the last thing on my mind to be found there. I dug two bullets that I had told Terri looked that era, but not sure. Well, according to Civil, they're CW! ;D

GREAT SLQ too! Awesome hunt today, Ty!!! Congrats! Nana :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
those CW type bullets could have been used post war as well-- maybe these were post war used * if no troops where in that area --civil war era type bullets no doubt --- but barring them being linked with CW troops its awful hard to say "CW bullets" --now " bullets of the type used in the CW time frame " sure ok .---- impressive finds still no doubt about it.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats what I call a great suprise... what a great assortment of finds.. Are you able to go back there ? I hope so..
big time congrats to you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
ivan salis said:
those CW type bullets could have been used post war as well-- maybe these were post war used * if no troops where in that area --civil war era type bullets no doubt --- but barring them being linked with CW troops its awful hard to say "CW bullets" --now " bullets of the type used in the CW time frame " sure ok .---- impressive finds still no doubt about it.

I don't want to give it away, but check out Civilman's post when it comes up.

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Bootybay said:
Now thats what I call a great suprise... what a great assortment of finds.. Are you able to go back there ? I hope so..
big time congrats to you :thumbsup:

Yes. the homeowner said we can come back whenever we want.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice digs!!! You two just have a nose for it I guess!!! I dug a 1909 house in Leesburg... that had been part of a larger lot CW era.. and popped out a couple of enfields.. one of them about 2 feet away form the side of the house!! So.. you never know!!

Heck.. my "first" US plate came out of a garden two house away.. had been tilled in the garden over and over!!!! but it was still a buckle!!! ;-)

MB

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow, nice finds! Love the SLQ....sure is pretty...someday I will find one!!! There's one waiting for me out there somewhere! ;D

Maybe a troop of Civil War guys came through that area to go to another. Maybe they belonged to a previous owner of the land who was in the Civil War...hmmmm? Still, a nice find!!!

I love those spoons too!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still shaking my head on this one Ty.....The wheatie's and Silver you got were good enough for me until you started pulling CW lead out.....What a day Brother!!!!! :thumbsup:

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Nice finds, gotta love that silver. I have found "civil war era bullets" in the oddest of places. I heard somewhere that alot of civil war soldiers purchased there own rifles and used them for hunting and protection long after the war. That is the only way that I can explain some of my civil war era bullets finds. Either way it is a pleasent suprise to pull out those beautiful white Minie' balls. WTG.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job Ty and Civil. That's the thing about those 3 Ringers and other Civil War relics, they can pop up in the most unexpected places. I remember a buddy digging a U.S. Plate from the piece of grass between the sidewalk and the road where no history of Civil War activity was known to have taken place. But remember, all those boys came home after the war and still wore there buckles and other accoutrements or passed them down...and when they were finally ragged or broken or forgotten they were thrown away into trashpits or stored away and forgotten or dropped and popped from the shirts and coats in crazy places.....

Those were some nice finds and I really like that SLQ!! Great job buds!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wink: :wink: :wink:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.---Looks like you got you a NICE Sharps Variant too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Those are great finds. I would check the neighbors yards for more civil war relics. You mar have found the edge of a picket post.
Dman

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Ty. I love hitting new (old) spots like that. You never know what's going to pop up. Great variety & congrats on that SLQ!!!
-Doug-

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread