How about the wheat penny/rare coin roll guy on feebay??

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, :hello: So just some coffee talk here...:occasion14: Who the heck is this guy that's selling wheat cent rolls, with things like rare 1860's Civil War Cents...?? :icon_scratch: I've never seen such a cent until on one of his auctions. Looks like some type of large cent but its small like a wheat cent... :icon_scratch: Some story about getting them at estate sales and not having the time to search them for what could be 10's of thousands in valuable coins ? :dontknow: I'd love to buy a roll and see what I get, but I don't have extra cash for that. Anyone buy/win a roll to see what they got before ? ??? Is this legit or some type of scam ? :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flying Eagle cent?

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally if I had bought a bunch or penny rolls I'd go through them. Especially if they had a rare date or coin on the end.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
99.999% of the time they are scams. They buy large quantities of wheat pennies and shotgun rolls. Fill them with the pennies and add a nice coin or two on the ends and then crimp them. Some are done with bank quality crimping machines and some are done with something called a Twist n crimp.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an 1863 token, I don't have a token book and I don't know if that one is rare or not. Its already pretty high for what could be all wheats but that one.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just checked it out and if you look at the second photo you will notice the end is loose and not crimped very well or tightly. It was done with a twist m crimp. I can almost guarantee it is full of 1940's and 50's wheat cents.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just checked it out and if you look at the second photo you will notice the end is loose and not crimped very well or tightly. It was done with a twist m crimp. I can almost guarantee it is full of 1940's and 50's wheat cents.
I actually bought a couple rolls a year or 2 ago just for laughs. This is exactly what he's doing. If I remember correctly one of the rolls also had a 1900s rough condition Indian cent in it as well (worth about a buck). There is no free lunch. These rolls are for sure NOT unsearched.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though the majority of the rolls, and I would also say 99.999% are a scam, there is a few that aren't. I have bought a couple by studying feedback that I could actually sell the contents out of and make a profit.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. It's not a scam, you just have to be foolish enough to take the bait. This type of "grab bag" style lot has been around for many years and has reared its head in all different forms: rolls of coins, brown bags of sports cards, etc.

2. There is more than 1 guy doing this. In fact, there are probably hundreds.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an 1863 token, I don't have a token book and I don't know if that one is rare or not. Its already pretty high for what could be all wheats but that one.
I agree, it's a Civil War token. There are several varieties with similar obverses, all common to my knowledge. Someone fill me in if I'm mistaken. Anyone foolish enough to buy one of these rolls and expect something great to be found, deserves what they get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread