How can you tell if its worth digging?

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a good solid tone on my at pro using a nel big coil today. 92-94 at 3ft plus. My hole is 2.5ft deep and my pinpointer still won't read it. my nel sharpshooter won't pick it up unless I use the pinpoint function, then I can see its further down under the hole. I posted about it in the metal detecting forum.

The only reason I am posting here is I was hunting in the area of the Norton KS/ Furnas County NE meteorite shower from the 40's. What type of readings do you see when you dig a meteorite or hot rock? Ive never seen my equipment do this.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody? Here is a pic with the white stone I pulled out right before my pinpointer went nuts. The meteorite that fell a couple miles away was the "norton county" aubrite. Chalky white, crumbles easily, low iron.

20151025_201913.jpg

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of these rocks sound of on your machine?
We're you running with a negative ground balance?
Irons will hit even on the cheapest detectors,but low iron chondrites and stony irons take a sensitive higher freq.machine.
My lower freq.machines won't hit nothing but irons.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of these rocks sound of on your machine?
We're you running with a negative ground balance?
Irons will hit even on the cheapest detectors,but low iron chondrites and stony irons take a sensitive higher freq.machine.
My lower freq.machines won't hit nothing but irons.

My at pro won't light up on any of the rocks. I haven't taken the PI machine out there.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pics with a coin or drink can for scale would be helpful.
All in the same hole?

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes all from the same hole, about the size of a post hole. I should have taken a pic with something for scale.... The bottom center stone is the size of a quarter.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keep digging. I helped recover one in Arizona, that was 6'7" deep. it was 115-degrees during the day, so we dug at night. About the size of a Medicine Ball, and HEAVY!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread