How coins circulate

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I have a question for you all and was hoping you could provide me with some insight on how exactly our coins circulate. When stopping at a local bank yesterday, that I am not a member of, I had a teller offer to order me halves simply because they never have any when I ask.. I asked who their supplier was and found out it is in fact Dunbar.. Now to my question. The teller said that the coins I would be receiving are coins that were circulated only from their branches. I had always assumed that the coins I am searching were from multiple types of banks and that the suppliers simply mix coinage from all banks and then repackage them and send them out. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this statement? Meaning that the coins that are shipped out for BOA or PNC are only coins that were placed back into the supplier by those banks and not other ones. I am asking, because this bank is a very small local bank with probably only eight branches.. I would assume she is wrong obviously because the supply may exceed the coins being placed back in by such a small bank. Either way I had never heard this before and was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether she is somewhat correct or just completely false.. Thanks

Upvote 0

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting idea. If it is true, then I would imagine that it wouldn't take you very long to get into the "Fed's stacks" if you dumped into another bank altogether. You could empty out the store of halves for the 8 branches and they would have to start ordering more from the Fed to keep up with your demand. You would be pulling straight from the mountain.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like she just might be mistaken, I just don't see why Dunbar would keep that branches coins separated from others

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
ColonialCravings said:
Hey everyone, I have a question for you all and was hoping you could provide me with some insight on how exactly our coins circulate. When stopping at a local bank yesterday, that I am not a member of, I had a teller offer to order me halves simply because they never have any when I ask.. I asked who their supplier was and found out it is in fact Dunbar.. Now to my question. The teller said that the coins I would be receiving are coins that were circulated only from their branches. I had always assumed that the coins I am searching were from multiple types of banks and that the suppliers simply mix coinage from all banks and then repackage them and send them out. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this statement? Meaning that the coins that are shipped out for BOA or PNC are only coins that were placed back into the supplier by those banks and not other ones. I am asking, because this bank is a very small local bank with probably only eight branches.. I would assume she is wrong obviously because the supply may exceed the coins being placed back in by such a small bank. Either way I had never heard this before and was wondering if anyone had any insight on whether she is somewhat correct or just completely false.. Thanks

Dawg maybe certain banks only get certain suppliers in yo area

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have both Garda and dunbar around here primarily... I am sure this woman just didn't know what she was talking about... It just doesn't make sense to me that suppliers would separate coins by banks

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Sounds to me like she just might be mistaken, I just don't see why Dunbar would keep that branches coins separated from others

This. Most tellers, even vault tellers, have no idea where their coin or currency come from.

If the coins are only from their own bank, what does the bank do when they switch armored car carriers, as happened with Chase recently?

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys... I figured she was wrong but just wanted to check.. I already get halves from dunbar so it doesn't make sense for me to order with her.. I am attempting to get Garda boxes, so I can try a new supplier..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread