How common is an Eight Reale?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
How common is an Piece of Eight?

I found an Piece of Eight it’s pretty worn but the date reads in the 1790’s I think. The most crazy thing is that I’m not in the states! It was found in the Hawaiian Islands!! Which is quite rare, this is the first one I’ve ever found. I’ve found recent silvers but not something like this. Can anyone respond to this..
Piece of eight.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Photo's please...congratulations!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It may have been lost by the owner while vacationing in Hawaii or possibly stolen from a Collector or Coin Shop and discarded by the thief while evading the cops.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be smaller than an 8 reale, maybe a 4 reale? Spanish silver really were global coins, accepted around the world.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Prior to 1857, these were the coin of the realm, legal US tender. They were used worldwide.

Looks like a 1 reale. Show us pics of both sides, and someone will ID it for you.

Nice find, congrats.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Hawaii, that's a very unusual find. Otherwise they are fairly common coins. They were indeed used worldwide.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Did the storm pull any sand there, I will be there in Makaha in about a month. Just curious. Good luck!

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be a 1 real, but hard to tell from the angle of the pic...spanish silver is spanish silver. Nice!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great find.Congrats :icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
August 21, 1959, Hawaii became the 50th state of the Union. Sooo, it WAS found in the states,, lol.
Congratulations

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering how worn it is, it could have been lost as late as the mid 1800's. Hawaii did have some settlers on it at that time, and many of them probably had Spanish silver on them. Congrats on that Spanish silver, an extremely rare find in Hawaii, and still a pretty rare find for most people even in the North East United States!

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an 8 reale that was found in a small town in Western Pa Image103.jpg Image104.jpg

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m blessed and honored to say that I have found a 8 Reale. It was in a sidewalk strip, in the middle of the Historic Business District, in front of a lawyer’s office. Probably one of the few pieces of grass left in this lawyers office, clothes boutique, restaurant uppity part of town. One day (only 6 months in the hobby) I said the hell with it I gotta go check. Parking’s crazy, of course middle of the day, parked half a block down and with all my MD’ing garb I went for it. I got a high hit showing 8” down on my new ATP. I new from learning growing pains it wasn’t a damn Mardi Gras doubloon that deep, so it has to be a big old rusty washer, but it sounded sweet so I dug. Seeing people’s feet walking past me each min was like hours. At 8” of hard La. clay I almost gave up, but thank the Lord I gave it one more thrust with the hand lesche and out popped (literally like in slow motion) a SOILD BLACK disc...black as the ace of spades ♠️. I picked it up, put it directly in my pouch and got the hell out of there. It was heavy still no idea what it was... token? Boy that would be great. Got home a said,”Honey I got something good!!!!”. Well with a lot of soap, water, baking soda (remember I was green) I finally saw it a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reale and I’ve been chasing that high ever since. IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG It will always been my center piece.

P.S. And yes I rechecked that small strip like 50 times over the years :laughing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread