Dmansoz

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2018
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have experience with Garrett repair ? I have an old Sea hunter 500xl that the front control board is fried and I called Garrett for parts or repair. They told me they no longer have parts or can test these. But to send it in and if they consider it un-repairable. Then it will qualify for the trade in program? they won’t give me details till I send the detector in? Is this worth my time and money to send this in ? It feels like they want me to send them a blank check and they will fill in the amount.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Garrett is a top notch company. I'd send it in and let them check it out. If you do, send a note telling them the story behind the machine. Hope they can help.

OP
OP
D

Dmansoz

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2018
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I emailed them this morning and asked what the cost would be. Since i already know the board is fried, they have no parts and are unable to test...I just wanted an idea if it did qualify . I was told send it in and once they have it. It will cost 565$ To replace. Well that doesn’t seam like a great of a deal to me. It would been a lot cheaper if they had parts...Am I wrong?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If they can't even test them, parts might be made of, or are in fact made of unobtainium. Ever try to buy replacement parts for a digital dash in a 84 vette? lol
What is the machine they will replace it with? Might it be a much more expensive machine?
I have always had exceptional experiences with Garrett CS. First, back in the 80's when they repaired a used machine for free and then more recent with some issues with my AT Pro.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I look at this realistically.

Garret already told you they can't fix it.

But! They asked you to send it in, and for a nice credit?

This sounds like a real deal to me.

Garrett reached out to you! And generously as I see it.

What's the problem here?

OP
OP
D

Dmansoz

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2018
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just doesn’t seem like a nice credit when my local dealer can sell it to me new in the package for 640. And it will cost me to ship and 30$ plus 565.. almost 600$ there. I guess I was in hope to only cost me like 100$ to fix not 600$. It’s a big difference for me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It just doesn’t seem like a nice credit when my local dealer can sell it to me new in the package for 640. And it will cost me to ship and 30$ plus 565.. almost 600$ there. I guess I was in hope to only cost me like 100$ to fix not 600$. It’s a big difference for me.

Okay, I understand that. Just keep on and pressing it!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you feel comfortable with electronics then Hutsman53 has a great solution. Perhaps the one on FeeBay is in working order...Win-Win! :icon_thumleft:

Good Luck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you feel comfortable with electronics then Hutsman53 has a great solution. Perhaps the one on FeeBay is in working order...Win-Win! :icon_thumleft:

Good Luck

That would be the hope but you never know! I purchased a White's Beach Hunter ID off FeeBay many years ago that was not working. When I received it, I placed new batteries in it, powered it up but it died within seconds and it will not even chirp. I still have not sent it into White's for repairs because I just can't seem to set the funds aside for the repair and shipping costs.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have experience with Garrett repair...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Dmansoz! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Michigan for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector.gif
2nd - Don't forget to browse Brands > Garrett for additional information and member experiences.

EricM1963

Sep 9, 2018
Winston Salem NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Campadre, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Sea Hunter XL500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. New to the site. I just purchased a Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500 dirt cheap. I like to attempt to restore vintage electronics when I can get them cheap enough. It looks like this project is going to be a bit of a challenge though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information online regarding this detector. I can't even find an image of the battery pack. I have read that 8 sub-C nicads can be hooked together in series to make a pack for it, but I haven't come across any diagrams to explain how they hook up to the 5 sets of terminals inside the housing. They look like the same connectors used for 9V transistor radio batteries. If anyone has technical papers or diagrams, or knows where some are posted, I would be interested in seeing them.
Thanks,
Eric M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread