Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currious, I've been using a GTAx550 for a few years now, I haven't got any coins deeper than 7 inches and that ONE time I hit a coin that deep it was a early large cent (real thin and worn down to nothing). I do a lot of detecting and my machine does great at signaling even the smallest fragments.

I have my machine set to only descriminate lower end junk, screws and bottle caps.

Is there a way to set my machine to go deeper?

Chris

Attachments

• gta x550.jpg
    gta x550.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 315

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have anything to offer but I was looking to buy (maybe) that same machine (used) and would like to hear some input about it myself. You using the stock coil?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I rarely dig coins at 7-8 inches in the ground. They just don't get that deep in my area. I have dug coins from the turn of the century at 5 inchs, along with 3 ringers and musket balls. I have dug coins at much deeper depths in the snow matrix. I believe that I get about the same depth in snow as an air test. But we sometimes have 18-24 inches of snow on the ground, and I surely can't get them that deep.

Perhaps you haven't gotten any deeper coins because there just aren't many lying around. The fact that your Garrett did pick one up at 7 inches is actually a compliment. I have owned machines in the past which couldn't pick up anything below 4 inches in my soil.

Some of the missing variables missing are your type of soil you hunt in, the size of your coil and swing spped.

Looks like you got a decent machine in my books.........

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys...
Hey diggum, I've always used the stock coil, the 7 x 10" PROformance Coil. Works real well and I have been very pleased with it. The only thing that I thought about would maybe I might buy a DD coil for this but it was advised by a local chapter treasurehunter president (The Genesee Valley Treasure Seekers) that I shouldn't bother as what I've got is already good.

John, I've dug all ages of coins and things at all differant depths. There's a good share of various size stones (baseball to football size) around here but really haven't found where they've held up any coins. Tree roots yes, a few IH's and Barber dimes thanks to the tree they were next to.
And I've read a lot here on TNet and have no problem agreeing that I haven't dug much deeper because the coins just weren't there.
I hate to say it but I sometimes feel that my machine isn't always cutting it when I think it should but at the same time I know it'll hit everything within a 6" depth. Seems how the GTAx550 is a real good turn on and go machine and the performance I've got from this has been near awsome, I shouldn't complain huh?

When I upgrade again, I'm sure to get more of a manual setting machine to fine tune myself I guess. I just know that there's deep coins out there and I want to find and dig them!

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey

I would get the DD coil only if you are having lots of erratic signals when you hunt. The DD coil will take care of all the iron in the soil for you so u can find the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread