How deep was your deepest coin on any detector ?

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
a seated dime at 8 in' under a root the size of your wrist in hard packed soil with a mxt and a 6x9 loop..a few others may have been just a touch deeper in loose soil, but when i see silver i don't care about such things.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Clad quarter 7" in a flower bed in very damp soil.
stock coil Ace 250 ( iffy signal ) Jewelry mode ,one bar below max sensitivity.

Doozis

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I have found clad quarters and sometimes dimes at 8"+. Many times its just a faint high "beep" with no info on the screen.. I found a buffalo nickel at around 8-9" also once. But, dont mis understand, 99% of my finds are 0-3 inches. I use a DFX with the new 12 inch coil. Hh dave. :O)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
When I first got my detector with standard coil had a hit at 9.5... With the small coil i use now...I have had hits as deep as 7.5

B

BIG61AL

I once found a clad dime at about 9 inch in beach sand. I'm guessing the moisture was just right, the coin was flat [not on an angle] and there were no trash targets to mask the signal. Most finds at at 1 to 4 inches. Everything deeper than is a lot rarer for me.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
most of my finds have been from the surface-7 inches deep,with high sensitivity it may register 10 inches but they always seem to be no more than 7in. so far.

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
My deepest coin was an indian head penny at 7 inches. It was with the Sov. and the signal was still pretty good. I just found a religeous medal at about the same. Both were with the 8" dd coil. All of my silver finds have been 1-3" and this is true for the vast majority of coins I find.

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Refreshing to see some "true" depth stories. Mine is an 8" clad quarter in wet sand.

Regards,
Jules

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian cent at 8" with DFX and 9.5 coil.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
a 3 cent piece at a good foot plus with an Eagle Spectrum and a hot head coil on it. The ground was soaking wet mud, I was going squishy squish walking in it. Up in Illinois, on great lakes naval training center to be exact, in the picnic area down by the lake. This was in late june that this happened. June 22, 1994 to be exact. Yes I keep records of all my major finds. It rang as a good solid tone that didn't 'chop' like pulltabs do, but was kind of iffy on the vdi, after several passes with the coil the tone was very steady in the silver range, and as I dug, didn't change much, it'd bounce between penny / dime with occasional nickel but stayed in penny dime range. The one thing I never liked about the hot head was that the depth readings were crap. I questioned digging this thing a few times on the way down, saying wtf, I don't have it yet? But the signal was so steady and tight, I could tell it was not a pulltab or beercan shrapnel, but didn't know what it was, but felt it was 'something' good. Pulled up a mud blob, rubbed a bit off the edge seen silver threw it in my bag. When I got it home and soaked and gently brushed it clean and seen the III on the back, then I knew I found a once in a lifetime thing, but to this day, have no idea how it got there. Coin was from the mid 1800's and they were NOT popular at all with the people... so it's not like theyd be in major circulation, and the base was not really built until around 1911.

Zion settlers perhaps? Pony Express route? Jr got into daddy's coin collection? Your guess is as good as mine.

aaron

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
A 1750 Brittania at 8" with a 5000D w/8"coil back in the late 70's. Many quarters at 12"+ on the beaches with 1280X w/10"coil. Most coins I find are no deeper than 5 or 6 inches. I have found lots of older coins at 4 to 8 inches. I have also found many older coins from the surface to 3" deep. Go figure.

Other than those coins at the beaches(12"+), I can honestly say that I haven't found old coins deeper than 8", even though my unit is capable of doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread