Winter hunting tips, tricks and ideas ?

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
woods while there's not a lot of snow,, beaches when there is...
works for me in massachusetts....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter here in the snow means checking parking lots snow piles around the light poles and perimeters on the edges. Don't forget to check the fences for paper money.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Here's my winter schedule...I will retire the MD until spring..

I still dig holes though but that's through the ice..catching walleye,and huge perch....in a shanty with a heater..lol
being close to a big lake winters are pretty brutal here at times and i don't forsee myself detecting 10 foot snow banks,braving whiteouts,snow drifts and the bitter cold.But i will be doing research to keep the spirit of this hobby alive and well in my mind..soon after than spring will be here again and I'll be back in the game.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Put on a wet suit for the water and just keep smiling while doing the dirt ;D ;D ;D

R

RUDY2003

Here in Texas we just switch to long pants from shorts.....

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Winter hunting tips, tricks and ideas ?

Attachments

• geeseV1.jpg
    geeseV1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 206

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering what I'm going to do with myself all winter. Now I know. I'll build a raging fire in the woodstove, take a thermos of coffee and brandy, but a coat and boots on and go to a Lake Michigan beach during a blizzard. If you don't hear from me for a while, please alert the authorities. They'll probably find me with my detector in one frozen hand and my Vibraprobe in the other. Ah, winter in the Windy City-Can't hardly wait. ;D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Even when the beaches froze solid in Maine, we just switched digging tools from shovels to hatchets and masons hammers. My buddy completely wore down a brand new Estwing hatchet one winter, but I had better luck with the masons hammer. Oh, we would cut a silver coin in two now and then, but we kept going. It really sucked when I would be hacking out a plug and get a load of frozen beach sand right in the eyes. I just sit down and cover my face until the sand thawed, get it all out and then go back to digging. All that just to find a penny!

Ya gotta love it!

Good luck!

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I was so bummed last winter, watching all the southerners and west coasters rub it in with their finds. But not this year, at least not after watching the heat waves, floods, tornadoes etc... :P Nope not fer me I'll keep my cold winters with 12 foot snow drifts, thank you very much ! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread