How deep????

besthobbyever

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Kingsport, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was wondering, in general how deep do people find most silver coins. The reason I ask is because I use an Ace 250 and it has been pretty good to me. I have had it one month and have found over 200 clad coins and one silver ring. I have searched two old home sites, one being early 1900's and the other being late 1800's and no silver! I have found some wheats and maybe there was no silver there but I question that in my mind. I know most coins I dig are generally between 2 and 6 inches but I can not help but wonder if the old silver coins are a lot deeper and my detector is not picking them up??? Is this true or am I just being too impatient....

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
No sir,
The depth is not what is in question. When you do find silver there will be no question about it. I think what you are dealing with is a place where the silver coins may have been cleaned out.

Keep looking my friend,
you will find the silver, and it will hook you . LOL
Welcome to TN
Good luck in all your hunts
OD

OP
OP
B

besthobbyever

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2007
Kingsport, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thank you. That puts my mind at more ease. I wanted to believe that but needed to hear it from some one else with more experience. Thanks!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There is one spot I dig - and I rarely coin hunt - but, the silver was all 6 inches with clad all throughout that range... as if the silver had been picked through. It just seems that way.

There is another spot not far from there where every silver coin I dug was within two inches... so I dunno.

I like Old Dog's comments.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
It all depends!!! :)
Ground conditions, your sensitivity setting and MD you are using.
Rob

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a barber dime at a local,small park. it was close to 10" deep in a junky area and almost seemed a fluke. i found no other coins anywhere near it.

About a 100 yards away, where the main park is and the soil very hard, I dug a 64 roosie at about 4" and a 64 quarter at about 2. I agree...soil conditions are the biggest contributer to depth, time lost....and the machine.

I wasnt using much disc then either so that could have made the difference on the barber....i was looking more for relics and was digging everything. Dont know if I'd have missed it with higher disc.
Al

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
I've been hunting since March, just a couple hours a week, and rarely find anything other than clad, some of which can be as 6" deep. I normally just hunt tot lots and local parks. Last week I found my first silver quarter. It was only about an inch and a half down, but it was on private property (yes I had permission), so I think the "hunted out" theory has some merit.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Luck plays a big part in it too. I found 2 rosies 64 and 61 in my own
yard. The house is 60 years old , one was about 3 inches the other about 4 or so. Your machine is VERY capable of finding silver coins ,
most of which will probably be found at less than 6 inches. Sometimes
the depth at which people claim they find things is enhanced somewhat ;)

Doozis

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will disagree, but most of my silver was found between 2 to 4 inches....I think it really depends on what kind of soil you are searching..If you have very hard ground, it would only seem plausible for them not to sink as fast as say in sand or quicksand..lol Keep at it...they will come.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have been skunked on the silver coins........I have found one off a sidewalk......I think it was a fresh drop though......my Tesoro goes nuts on silver rings and jewelry...but when it is deeper.....it makes me think of Pop Tops.....last silver ring I hit, I was digging odd strong
signals in a worked over area.......I really didn't think it was a silver....and almost skipped it.
I think silver with my detector at 3-6 inches is fooling me, I did a silver test bed......and I was pretty disappointed........I have learned that I need new earphones and more practice...and research..........and time!!!!

jorge

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is very capable of finding silver dimes at 6 to 7 inches. I found a 1942 mercury dime at about 7 inches a little while back. It locked on it pretty good. Soil conditions must have been great. Sometimes the soil is pretty dense and coins don't sink very fast. Sometimes the soil is rich and dark and loose and the coins will sink fast and deep. I found several wheat pennies at about 2 inches back in early summer. They were under trees with very little grass/mostly moss on the ground. The soil was a very light brown and very dense. Look for old houses and ask people if you can hunt their yards. That's the best place to find the old silver. Best of luck to you.

DANGLANGLEY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread