How Did That Coin/Ring/Etc Get Dropped Post

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
We speak in general terms as to how coins and other things end up out of people's pockets/fingers and in the ground..........does anyone want to share a specific scenario? The more humor to it, the better I think. I'll throw a couple............

#1 Some show-off kid decades ago decides to start doing some cartwheels all over the grass and loses his glasses and those 3 mercs in his pocket. He recovers the glasses but the mercs are up for grabs.

#2 A spoiled to death 4 year old is pulling his mother by the finger towards the ice-cream truck like a husky to a sled. The 4 year old loses the battle to Mr. Softy's truck but mom loses the ring as the tot finally lets "Go".

smartfox

Dec 18, 2006
my son lost a gold ring I found at the park at another park by just goofing around and I was never able to retrieve it. Luckily I found another gold rind in another park and this time I only let him wear it at home. ;D

T

TreasureTales

Someone someday will find a gold ring I lost as a child. I had swiped the little ring from my mother's dresser and had taken it to the neighbor kid's place to show it off. It had my initial on it and I was making out like it was my ring (dopey thing to say or do since I've never worn a ring in my life). Anyhow, he was looking at it and tossed it back to me. I missed it and it fell into the 3" high weed patch that was his so-called front yard. He and I looked for that ring for at least an hour. Never found it. My mom rightfully gave me what-for when I admitted what I had done.

I've often thought about going back to my hometown and seeking permission to hunt that yard. But now it's kinda immaterial since my mom died a couple years ago.

So that's one scenario based on facts.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
The little girl was the only girl and youngest in the family with 6 much older brothers. They built her a playhouse up on the hill by a large pine tree. They also gave her pocket change which she hoarded and kept in Vicks jars which she buried by her playhouse. The family moved from that farm in the 40"s and she told me it would still be there but the farm would have been flooded when a large dam was completed in the late 60's. Ouch!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
R NY,

"does anyone want to share a specific scenario?
The more humor to it, the better I think."

1920's. Old man returns home from work, drunk, after
spending most of his pay at the local bar.

Family, wife 3 kids, hungry. Wife digs in his pockets
and finds only a bit of change left.

She heads out the door and hopes to buy some food for
her and the kids.

Gets hit, and run over by a wagon, change spills from
her pocket. Last thing she sees in this life, is the change
rolling into the gutter.

Since the old man is a drunk, the kids are separated, place in
an orphanage and never see each other or their Father again

87 years later we find the 73 cent spill that rolled into the gutter
and jump with joy for our luck.

Just love a story with a jump for joy ending ;D ;)

all have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Shermanville, I can envision her with the change wrapped in a little cloth instead, clutching it tightly to her chest in a most pissed off manner. ;D

I'll throw another one..........a coach with not so good eyes tries to start a game and fails to catch the falling coin. Wether it landed head or tails on the grass doesn't matter, there is no time to delay the game. Personally, I've dropped coins on one knee after pulling them out of a hole that I could not find were it not for the detector.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
TreasureTales said:
Someone someday will find a gold ring I lost as a child. I had swiped the little ring from my mother's dresser and had taken it to the neighbor kid's place to show it off. It had my initial on it and I was making out like it was my ring (dopey thing to say or do since I've never worn a ring in my life). Anyhow, he was looking at it and tossed it back to me. I missed it and it fell into the 3" high weed patch that was his so-called front yard. He and I looked for that ring for at least an hour. Never found it. My mom rightfully gave me what-for when I admitted what I had done.

I've often thought about going back to my hometown and seeking permission to hunt that yard. But now it's kinda immaterial since my mom died a couple years ago.

Why would having that ring back be immaterial when attached to the memory of mom? :'(

T

TreasureTales

theloadroom said:
TreasureTales said:

Why would having that ring back be immaterial when attached to the memory of mom? :'(

If my mother were still living, I'd try to find the ring and therefore make amends for my misdeeds as a young boy. A means of trying to tie up loose ends in my life as I reach the age of an uncertain future, IOW before I meet my Maker. But since my mother is no longer living, it is no longer something I care to spend time, money and effort in pursuing. The ring itself was not worth much and the expense of returning to my hometown, asking permission, and then trying to find a ring that may or may not still be in the yard seems impractical and baseless. There are many other items and memories that keep my beloved mother in my heart. She would not have cared if I had returned the ring to her, ultimately the theft from her dresser only bothered me. And it taught me that things are not nearly as precious as the trust given us by others, particularly those we love and those who love us. A conscience is a blessing.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I am going on the serious side - two real life scenarios. Man swimming shortly after his honeymoon. Finger "shrinks" and ring comes off swimming in water more than 5 ft deep. Another one - lady decideds to do so gardening. Takes her wedding ring and puts it in her front pocket. After going all over the yard and doing stuff she finds it missing(most likely bending over to pick up something).

More creative and humorous: Danimal's reply to my theory of how coins got dropped:
Here's what I anticipate Mirage's theory will go like...
" well Dan, judging by the angle of each coin found and the dispersal zone of the groupings, combined with the type of coin and the date range, I figure that back in 1954 a group of 13-16 year old boys were out picnicing. The oldest of the boys, a strapping young man of 16 (we KNOW he was big because it was HE who carried the Franklin half) started taunting the smaller boy, calling him a shrimp. Each boy had pockets full of pennies for the candy stand located nearby at the park entrance, as well as plenty of dimes for the hot dog stand located near the swimming area. A fight ensued. The Mother, acting as chapperone, TRIED to break it up, but these testosterone-infused kids just got her involved and she started swinging her purse in an attempt to defend herself. Coins flew everywhere. It rained metallic disks for over half an hour.
Suddenly a heavy downpour with intense lightning began. Not wanting to stay under the canopy of large oak trees, all involved hightailed it back to the parking area and scrambled into their assortment of 1940s and 50's era cars. Not wanting to leave because of the money lost but not willing to brave the storm they waited. Two hours later dusk fell and the decision was made to leave. All parents involved were notified and the amount of money lost was deducted from the boy's allowances. None returned because of the ill-feelings this caused.
Being fall, the storm dislodged many many leaves, quickly covering the carpet of freshly fallen coins.
There they lay until Dan "stumbled" upon it."

Another of Danimal's scenarios:
I thought Nate already explained the seated...some kid was carrying it from his father's collection. This kid MUST have been lightweight, and during the fight, another older boy grabbed him by his ankles and was swinging him around in a circle. The force flung the seated dime that precise distance from the others. The dime landed on a spot where a tree seedling lay. Over the years the tree grew, pushing the seated coin up shallower than the others, even though it was older.

;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last fall a lady parked her car some ways from a museum on a frosty morning. She had her gloves on and pulled them off while walking toward the museum. A gold and diamond ring valued at around $5,000 came off with the glove and was lost in the grass. I hunted the general area several times last summer but never found it. To date it hasn't been found unless someone found it and kept quiet about it. That I wouldn't doubt. Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Some people from Illinois staying in the cabin...Snotty Lady had enough jewelry on to sink a boat...Went out on the dock and was doing who knows what and her diamond ring valued at 4500.00 slipped into the lake...Its about 5 ft of water. I and the girls looked the rest of the summer but couldnt find it. Really mucky on the bottom...so who knows. Keep hoping I will catch the bluegill that swallowed it.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid, while playing in the yard, I took of a ring and a braclet and set them on the bumper of my dad's truck. Now you know the rest of the story........

LeJeuene

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife said that when she decided to leave and divorce her first husband (he had been cheating on her), she was so angry >:( that she took her wedding ring and went outside and tossed it as far as she could into an open field.

Huntin' 59er

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last one is how I got interested in metal detecting. Our neighbor on the corner got into a family arguement and she threw her wedding rings into the front yard. Later they were looking for it. Then we started looking on hands an knees to help them. I remembered one of my friends metal detected so I called him. When he arrived he set up his C&G Bobcat and started looking. In ten minutes he said, "They're right here." The lady looked and there they were laying side by side in the short grass. Everyone wondered how we could miss them.

My friend and I each got a cold stale beer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread