How do coins generally travel along the sea floor?

raf_sing

Greenie
Jan 2, 2014
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on the look-out for an article or blog that discusses the most likely route coins follow along the seabed once the vessel they were in has sunk. Whilst I got tons of pages on actual coin finds and what-have-you, I haven't been able to locate a magazine, portal or some such dealing with this specific topic at length. I know they're there though.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Perhaps the forum has a dedicated topic on it?

The reason I ask is because I've just bought some new underwater detection gear :)

Cheers.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How a coin travels is directly relevant to is PM content and the strength of the current at the bottom. No current no travel. Strong current and gold would probably not travel far at all. Waves at the shore? still the size and strength would determine that in an individual case per coin. I cannot see how any case study could be created with each coin having its own variable based on each condition. So you would have to revert to the old adage They are where you find them. IMO

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The currents, driven by many forces, don't care if the item being carried for the ride is a stone, clam, or gold coin. I have learned from fossil hunting Miocene shark teeth that some conditions are better than others for finding shark teeth cast up on the shore. I like to see coarse gravel that behaved similar to a fossil in the waves. When I see fine sand, I know the conditions are poor - although there may be things buried under it. And then there are eroded areas and those always attract me, as the finer, lighter particles have been removed, leaving the coins and fossils behind as in a sluice. Some of it defies easy explanation and I often just say "the beach looks good today".

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many factors involved in moving a coin over the ocean floor when it is no longer contained in a box, chest or bags. Ocean currents, waves, storms surges from strong storms to Hurricanes, pressure waves, excessive high and low tidal action, leftover swell/wave action from a Tsunami and even strong Water Spouts and boat propeller/wake action in shallow waters can move many coins around. Some coins have been moved around for some 300 to 400+ years and are quite often found fairly long distances from the shipwreck of the ship that carried them or have been long buried on beaches and in sand dunes. In fact, some shipwreck coins were blown/moved across fairly shallow waters in the Atlantic, across some Florida Keys and ended up in the Gulf waters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread