What makes this penny a fake wrong planchet error

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother found this a few years ago and sent it in to be Authenticated.
FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg

Came back as not genuine with no explanation.

Any ideas on what struck this penny and how we can tell if it is fake or not?

Thanks

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like an aborted penny from a machine that elongates Pennys as souvenirs.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get clear, full obverse and reverse images?

It's possible it might be from one of those machines. Best bet would be to ID some of the letters and detail on the coin.

Can you tell what the letters spell? Or match up the design with foreign coinage? Very likely a coin with an incuse design was placed in a vise with the cent and pressure applied. This would cause the design to transfer to the cent.

Whatever caused it had an incuse (recessed) design on it like a die. You would probably need to produce evidence to them that this is something other than PSD.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be amazed at what a 20 ton bearing press and some foreign material will do to a coin. I do not see at all how this damage happened at the mint. This is PMD

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I’m going along with creskol on this one. I have seen similar cents when a souvenir machine at a local aquarium malfunctioned. Similar damage. Different design.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like an aborted penny from a machine that elongates Pennys as souvenirs.

I think you nailed the ID! I have found several elongated pennies and those Dots are on alot of the edges. Here is one next to the penny.
FullSizeRender(20).jpg

That said, I am still trying to figure out how a person can tell PMD from mint damage.
I accepted the grading services conclusion but was very disappointed in the lack of an explanation. What are the signs to look for? I can't find any rules to go by.

Thanks for everyone's input!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The key to understanding what mint errors are is to first understand how coins are made. A somewhat simplistic approach, to be sure, but accurate.

Time for more coffee.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long and short of it is that it takes a lot of experience and time in the saddle so to speak, just like metal detecting.

Here is a great reference for errors if you don't know about it yet.

Error-ref.com which has all kinds of errors with examples.
(Hope you don't have anything else planned once you start looking at the site, it is hard to stop!)

The opposite side of the cent should show some damage as well, which is why I was hoping for an image of the reverse.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long and short of it is that it takes a lot of experience and time in the saddle so to speak, just like metal detecting.

Here is a great reference for errors if you don't know about it yet.

Error-ref.com which has all kinds of errors with examples.
(Hope you don't have anything else planned once you start looking at the site, it is hard to stop!)

The opposite side of the cent should show some damage as well, which is why I was hoping for an image of the reverse.
Thanks for the error ref link. I had to chew my arm off to get away. I will go back!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes their is some damage on the front but no markings. Makes sense...the backs of those elongated coins are always blank. I thought the front was a large grease error.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread