How do I deal with clay?

rags-to-riches

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I'm new to gold panning, and live in central ohio. I am panning a small creek by my house and am finding alot of cool shiny stuff and found my first flake today! My problem is the creek doesn't seem to have a "riverbed" just a hard clay bottom. I see all types of stuff stuck to the clay but am having a hard time separating it. Also, I'm getting into clay in about 4"...should i dig past the clay? If I post some pics could you point out some spots!? Thanks!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I'm new to gold panning, and live in central ohio. I am panning a small creek by my house and am finding alot of cool shiny stuff and found my first flake today! My problem is the creek doesn't seem to have a "riverbed" just a hard clay bottom. I see all types of stuff stuck to the clay but am having a hard time separating it. Also, I'm getting into clay in about 4"...should i dig past the clay? If I post some pics could you point out some spots!? Thanks!!!!

Welcome aboard. I would post it in the Gold panning section. They have a really good gold forum on here and those guys are pros. Good luck with the clay!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Clay is regarded as a "False Bottom". Most will tell you it ain't worth working a clay layer. However, some gold (even nuggets) are found suspended in clay. I learned this the hard way at Cache Creek when i abandoned a clay layer and two days later someone else pulled a $500 dollar nugget out of the same hole. It takes a very, very long time for gold to work its way down through clay. I wouldn't pass up anything that was producing decent gold. To dissolve clay, all you need is a liquid containing a free ion of hydrogen and a free ion of floride. That's how archeologists get rid of the stuff. Go to the Dollar Store and buy a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Pour about half of it into a gallon of water. Add half a tube of floride toothpaste. Shake the jug until the mixture turns blue. With a little help from your fingers, this stuff will liquify clumps of clay.. guaranteed. It's way cheaper than buying 8 oz. bottles of "Clay-B-Gone" for ten dollars a pop and works just about as good. Good Luck.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..........common dish soap and no worry about putting chemicals into the enviro,that dont need to be there!!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Good Grief. All living organisms produce hydrogen peroxide as a by product of "oxidative motabalism'. It's presence in water actually raises not lowers oxygen levels. Pet Store owners add it to their aquariums to keep fish healthy. Every water treatment plant in America adds hydrogen peroxide to the waste water before it is discharged into rivers. Its sprayed by farmers on crops to treat root rot, (Courtesy of Wikipedia). As for floride, that's added to city water that comes straight out your kitchen tap. Toothpaste ? C'mon ! You put that product in your mouth every day, don't you ? How toxic can that be ?.. I don't think any Possum Cop is gonna be able to ticket you for pouring hydrogen peroxide or toothpaste into a stream calling it a toxic chemical, that's pretty laughable.. If the idea bothers you, just dump it out on the ground after you use it. That's what i do. Dishwashing liquid WILL NOT break down red clay as well as this mixture does. Archelogists and geologists don't use dish washing liquid to get rid of red clay. Ask'em yourself.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Grief. All living organisms produce hydrogen peroxide as a by product of "oxidative motabalism'. It's presence in water actually raises not lowers oxygen levels. Pet Store owners add it to their aquariums to keep fish healthy. Every water treatment plant in America adds hydrogen peroxide to the waste water before it is discharged into rivers. Its sprayed by farmers on crops to treat root rot, (Courtesy of Wikipedia). As for floride, that's added to city water that comes straight out your kitchen tap. Toothpaste ? C'mon ! You put that product in your mouth every day, don't you ? How toxic can that be ?.. I don't think any Possum Cop is gonna be able to ticket you for pouring hydrogen peroxide or toothpaste into a stream calling it a toxic chemical, that's pretty laughable.. If the idea bothers you, just dump it out on the ground after you use it. That's what i do. Dishwashing liquid WILL NOT break down red clay as well as this mixture does. Archelogists and geologists don't use dish washing liquid to get rid of red clay. Ask'em yourself.
Easy dude!!!How do ya know I was talkin about you?soap does break down all clay...who fricken cares what color it is!!!!What did the old times do before Hrydro peroxide?They dried it out and ground it...then panned it.Thanks for the tip though,didnt know that

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread